[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Drew's build, maybe...

Drew's build, maybe...

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Drew's build, maybe...

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:32 am

This forum is quickly becoming my favorite!

I'm pipe-dreaming right now, but wouldn't mind thoughts, suggestions, etc.. If I were to build a RMH, I would build like Manny. What I mean is that I would build a brick "box" to put everything in. The outside of one side of my house is brick, so it would tie the house together not unlike the rug in The Big Labowski.

It would be placed under the television here, thus displacing my stereo equipment. The coffee table is there to hide an ugly mess of cables. I have a router and electrical distribution box screwed to the rear of the table. The TV is actually mounted to the wall.

Just playing around, I stole Manny's pic and made a sloppy convergence but you get the idea...

Instead of running the exhaust up through the ceiling and the roof, I'd rather just exit the wall to the right. But, this is under a (non-enclosed) porch roof and I doubt if code would allow.. Heck, I don't know if code would accommodate a RMH anywhere, so I'd rather stay away from the subject of code and just speak safety and function. The exhaust area I'm entertaining is to the right of the picture windows, but it does face south west, so I would be concerned that it would act as a wind scoop and push air into the house.

I'd love to hear some feedback!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Re: Drew's build, maybe...

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:34 pm

The brick look would be awesome. ** thumbs up ** I haven't seen a RMH brick rocket here in the US yet. There are Russian stoves that use the design but not rockets. I want to do something similar outside. I am going to really enjoy watching your progress.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:38 pm

It seems to me you might have two challenges: weight and exhaust. Is there a basement under that area or is it on a slab? You will have to do some reinforcing. As for exhaust, I would probably try to run it straight up through the roof. These things burn fairly clean but I think you will still have a mess on your front porch if you vent it out through the wall there. The wind would be another issue.

The first wood stove I had in my house years ago was in the upper level and I vented it straight up. It really wasn't as big a project as I thought it might be. There's been some great ideas on here as far as making your own double wall pipe and I think you could make it work pretty easy.

As far as codes go- Ernie and Erica have done a lot of work to get some codes for these things established. I remember seeing a draft of Portland Oregon's code at some point but I can't seem to find it now. Here's something else you can check out:

Otherwise, don't ask; don't tell is a good policy. Be safe.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Opps, almost forgot to add something. I've never built a RMH but I use brick all the time. My suggestion is to not use any type of brick for the core. The brick is excellent at retaining heat for mass use but the downside is that it will suck up all the energy.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks for the input guys! If I do (or when I do!) build a RMH, I'd cast the core. I've contacted a few companies to try to find a price on eutectic salts to use for heat storage but I haven't received a response yet. It may be cost prohibitive.

Manny, I thought about the weight issue a bit. The wall with the picture on it is the exterior wall, so the joists below the floor are essentially resting on top of the foundation at that point below. I imagine I could get a jack underneath the other end would do the trick. I haven't been in the crawlspace for quite a while.. I know there are supports in the middle of the house and the hallway is almost the middle point.

Good thoughts!
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

For sure take the exhaust up and out, you will have endless problems if it's on the side of the house due to pressure differences.

The weight, I believe, can be dealt with without too much trouble on your suspended floor. You will want to get under there and probably put in pier blocks and 4"x4" verticals underneath some of the joists that carry the mass, but if the walls are on foundation, I think with a little smarts you will be fine. I really like the brick look, but be warned, it does move a lot of the weight to the perimeter of the bench so think about that when you are planning reinforcement. As I'm sure you are aware it's about 500 bricks per ton, so they add up quick. Another finish idea that's lighter is a backer board box with a lighter facing of tile or thin stone or something.

If you end up being really worried about the weight you can do what I did and take lots of measures to minimize it. I had no one to ask and was really concerned, which is why I have those hollow arches and suspended extension. I started with a pretty small mass, and then a month or two later once I was comfortable with the weight I added a bit. I still am considering adding more down the road. There's no reason you have to do it all at once, which is one of the advantages of using natural materials.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks for your input.

I "Permsteaded" a little last night and built a mold. I included the "tripwire" and also intend to round one of the corners to create the swirling motion for exhaust gasses.

... Because I know everyone likes pictures... (sorry for the blurry picture)

DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 pm

Awesome! If you are lazy like I am you can slap a handful of stuff in the core once it's done to achieve the sweep. I like Prescott's style better, but that looks too hard and I'm usually too excited and in a hurry to wreck it as soon as I can.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:13 pm

I picked this up over lunch today... Dang! It's expensive!! And, it's not waterproof.. I paid about $38 for 15 lbs of it. Is this the right stuff?

I think this is the same stuff, just in a dry form and in a 50 lb bag. 92 bucks can take it, but I don't have 92 bucks. I'm it's the better deal of the two. Seems like it might be...

DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Yeah, that's the stuff, and yeah, it's spendy! I came up with my mix as a way for folks like me to make a refractory product that is satisfactory and can be found locally just about anywhere. That said, there are better ways to go if you are in a metro area and are resourceful at sourcing stuff.

I could only find the little tubs here, so that's what I used, and since it's spendy I used it sparingly. Prescott used the dry stuff (I think) in a much higher ratio. It looks as if it's set up real well for him.

Since I've made that video I've sourced castable refractory products within driving distance of me, although I've been buying materials by the pallet and having them trucked in. If you are in a metro area with a little digging I bet you could find castable refractory. That's what Ray used, and it's what I use in my Walker Stoves, it's definitely the way to go. You can typically find 50lb. bags for around $40 and could do an 8" casting with probably 3 of those, 4 would probably do riser and core.

Anyway, there's a few ways to go. Not sure if I helped or confused you more Drew, but there ya go...
matt walker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Heating and Cooling