RMH picking up a little speed now...

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: RMH picking up a little speed now...

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:43 am

There was a rocket stove at the Mother Earth Fair, it used the standing bells for heat storage. I believe they had 3 of them in series. Dragon stoves I believe their name was, for the mass they used terra cota chimney flu pipes of a fairly large size. For the display they had covered the chimney flue pipes with stone to add more mass. It made the stove look good for the fair. Here is their web site. The stoves are fairly pricy, but the idea is the same one you are using. Maybe they have addressed some of the same issues you are faced with in your install. The idea of using flue liners instead of a 2nd barrel might be something to consider, it saves space, it has the mass, you can add more mass easily with stone or brick at your leasure, and they are fairly cost effective. Not as cheap as a barrel but still pretty good considering the added mass.

http://www.dragonheaters.com/
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby smallhagrid » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:08 am

Thanks Again !!
I have visited the Dragonheaters site and I agree fully with your observations.

In this process I did try to source some flue liner without success.

Right now my situation is that I have plenty of firebricks and that cast iron and some other good, used stuff - so unless there's something really bad/backwards/etc. about this plan that needs modification for sure - it seems worth a try.

In the past this place has been kept from freezing via an electric heater and the bills to match...

There's woods within walking distance here.
So far this season I've literally used only sticks & scraps in the box stove to chase out the chill as needed.

If I can get this idea to work better than that it is a winner IMO.

Best of all, since I look after the owner's horse herd, there's always an abundance of paper feed bags which work well for collecting sticks and then can be burned to start a stove.

Right now I've got a collection of those bags standing in the hallway all filled with wood and I really enjoy my walks to collect it !!!

Maybe someday if I have extra $$$ and a sturdier place to live I'll try one of those Dragon units.
Thanks.
smallhagrid

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:16 am

Sounds like you have matters well in hand. Good Luck with you plan. I am sure it will work for you well enough to keep warm. And that what matters. :)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby smallhagrid » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:42 am

Thanks again !!
I am remaining alert for anyone who wishes to point out any glaring errors in this idea - such as the badly drawn pipe heights and relative sizes of things - or ????

The very next step here will be checking with the owner regarding the actual floor placement in that room.

Once that is done and it is OK, it is time to get active with actual setting up of the various parts.

The very last part I need to secure is something like an oversized dryer vent end for that 6" flexible hose so it can go out the window; and if there's no such a thing I'll have to make something for that spot, I guess.
smallhagrid

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling