New build questions

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: New build questions

Postby abarlow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:26 am

Good news guys! I hooked up to the chimney and things are really rolling now. There isn't any blowback and I don't even have the exhaust cobbed in yet!

I am thinking about using stone for the bench. Is there some reason that folks don't use stone with the joints cobbed for the mass in the bench? Seems like it would make a better thermal battery than 100% cob.

Thoughts?
abarlow

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Glad to hear it's working for you, Adam. I think plenty of people use rock in their mass. For sure it can be done.

What I have been noticing lately is that on the surface the brick is the coolest part of my bench, cob is somewhere in the middle, and rock is the warmest to the touch. Maybe there's other factors in there. It seems like the rock I used has the best conductance of heat. That's dolomite/limestone for me. I'm sure other rocks are different. I'm considering taking the brick out when I rebuild and using rock instead.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Oh man, that's just great news Adam. Congrats! I think stone makes a great mass, as long as it's all schmucked in there with cob so it's a monolithic mass. Like Manny, I've noticed the stones in my build are the warmest, for the longest.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling