[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Electricity Generation with Wood Heat

Electricity Generation with Wood Heat

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Electricity Generation with Wood Heat

Postby DevilsBrew » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:51 pm

EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:07 pm

I remember my neighbor telling me about a guy who studied air movement. He used a round tube and wanted to move air between floors for heating and cooling. He tried pulling it and he tried pushing it through the pipe to figure out which way worked best and which was more efficient. There was a difference, but for the life of me I can't tell you which way worked better. :lol: I think I must be getting that old timers thing. :o

PS Sorry Matt if we kind of hi jacked this thread. I liked the original topic of generating electric from heat. Sorry if we wondered a bit from the topic at hand. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Us drift? No! ;) It is my middle name.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby 4seasons » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 pm

4seasons

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 am

Ha! TEGs are $3.95 with free shipping. Dang! 5 for $20.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:12 pm

So starting to dig into the TEG technology a little bit here... What is the optimum temp for those things to run at? Would the heat dissipation blocks be necessary if the TEG was encapsulated and held at the perfect temperature?

Matt, is there any way you IR thermometer can read the temp of the surface of the TEG when it's running? If not, approximate temp? Are we talking 100* or 350* ?
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:57 pm

My playing around with them leads me to believe that it's right about 250°-300°F that they work best. Keep in mind, we are saying TEG but really these are TECs, and as such are cheap and not optimized for this use. But cheap! I'm saying that because I think the limited useable range is a function of them being coolers rather than generators. Maybe. Anyway, I set it on a heat sink on a surface that's around 450°, that seems to do, until I really crank up the stove. Then I have to move it or lose it. Yep, if you can engineer constant heat and keep the cool side bleeding the heat fast enough, you will have constant power. I have been able to stabilize mine so I have light the whole time the stove is burning.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:54 pm

Hmmm. So if I'm understanding this right, it needs hot on one side but cool on the other? I guess there goes my idea. If it just had to be hot I was thinking it could be buried in the mass at an appropriate temp and it would work all the time. Wah, wah, wah.....
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Yeah, it's the delta T that makes it go, not just heat. That's the real challenge, although with your applications I can see putting a little pot of water on the "cool" side and running your circ pump through it. Double feature!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Geez, terrible syntax up there. Sorry.
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling