Rocket Mass Heater tested with a Flue Gas Analyzer

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Rocket Mass Heater tested with a Flue Gas Analyzer

Postby solarguy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:42 pm

Well, never having built or operated an RMH, that seems reasonable. Especially if the clog is occurring where liquids would collect.

troy
solarguy

Postby matt walker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:22 am

Yep, that's my theory on that clogging as well. As for the efficiency thingy, well, it is what it is. I don't know what that number means exactly in real world use, but if I use it on various tests, I can at least compare the numbers against each other.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Bobwieser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:04 am

I don't know about the Testo nor wood but. For oil boiler, efficiency it is not counting for any losses from pipes, boiler jacket and such. It does not mean the space to be heated is getting the heated efficiently. It's only combustion efficiency and not concerning the rate of fuel input.

Its calculated using the Net stack temperature ( flu gas temp (or Gross temp) minus room temp at the burner) and the amount of C02 (higher is better) or the amout of O2 (lower is better).

If all of the fuel is bured with oil fuel there will be 15% C02 and no O2 that would be 100% efficient combustion of the fuel.

The analyzers will show C0 and C0 air free but the are not part of the combustion efficency.

Exess air carries the near 80% nitrogen in air which does not contribute to combustion it just goes along for the ride and will speed up the gasses. That will lower the heat extange, raise the Gross temp and lower efficiency.
Hope this helps.

I have been reading a lot at Donkys and am liking Peters bach set ups with bells. Any advice deciding between J or batch burners.
Bobwieser

Postby Bobwieser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:50 am

I forgot to add that for 100% efficency the net stack temp will equal 0.

Can't find the way to edit my earlier post .
Bobwieser

Postby matt walker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:52 pm

That's good stuff Bob, thank you. It does help. I need to mess with the edit settings on the board so we can edit posts after posting, sorry about that.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling