4" Cookstove

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: 4" Cookstove

Postby matt walker » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Yeah, I think you can be pretty dang loose with the dimensions in a little cook stove like you are planning. The lack of long convoluted mass flue runs and the vertical chimney both will let you get away with a whole lot of fudging the details, I believe. Not to mention, if you can build it, you can rebuild it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:18 am

I'm resurrecting this thread 6 months later. I finally got off my duff this weekend and did a little more work on the cookstove.

Talk about inappropriate named titles for a thread, I finally settled and put a 6" core in this little thing. I stuck with the 1:2:3 J-tube ratio with an 8" feed, 16" burn tunnel, and 24" riser. (sorry for the blurry pics, talk to the guys running Apple now about that).

I started by just planning to start plastering the outside of it to get a feel for how the plaster would work on the vertical walls and how my soil would be. It's just 3 parts sand to 1 part soil. There's no fiber or anything in it, and it seems to have worked ok. I'm not sure what will happen with heat though.

My original plan was to have two openings (one on either side of the riser) towards the bottom, open to a second bell in back, and then up out of the top.

Then I decided to just cast right over these and cut that divider out all the way in the back.

So once I started working on plastering it, I was like, what the heck, it's time to build this thing. I wasn't planning on it, per se, so I was just dug up what I had around the house and went with it. If it doesn't work I'll redo it. It's pretty much just fireclay and zonolite, with a couple handfuls of ash mixed in and a splash of sodium silicate.

So here it sits once again, not sure when I'll get back to working on it. Maybe next month after I finish a couple other things. Or when it rains, whichever comes first.

I realized when I was casting this thing that it's gonna pretty much be built in place. It better work! It's too dang heavy to move outside to test fire it and try moving back in. Not like breaking the floorboards heavy, but more like breaking my back heavy. I'm also considering hijacking that back hole in the top where the exhaust is supposed to exit and making a little 14" "toaster oven" right there and cutting a hole in the side behind the riser towards the bottom and running the exhaust out of there. Definitely open to some input on all that.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:27 am

That looks awesome Manny. I'm not sure what I'd recommend for the exhaust. It's pretty neat with the small footprint, I might try the exhaust in the original location first and add on the oven as phase 5 or something. It might need the lower exhaust though, just to slow things down. I suppose a damper should work as well. Hmmm, fun.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:34 pm

That's what I was thinking about the lower exhaust. I'm definitely going to incorporate a damper, just to keep the cold air out when not in use. It seems like an easy fix though which ever way it works. For now I'll just vent straight up. The cool thing I was thinking about having that chamber in the back with the big open space behind the riser is that it will be super easy to pop the top off and insert another sheet of concrete board back there with any kind of port I want into that chamber. It might be fun to play with port designs (you know, in all my spare time).
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Great work, Manny! I am completely excited to see how this fellow performs. Do you have an ETA of completion in mind?

I hope we get to see some firing videos during the first try!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:16 am

Thanks Drew, I'm super excited too. Hoping to get it built around the time it starts getting cold. I really want to get this thing done but I have so many other projects going on right now and converting my old rmh to an 8" is going to take priority at the end of this month. As for videos, ahhh. I don't know how to do that and I don't have a YouTube account. Maybe, no promises!
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Here's an update on my little cookstove project.

I salvaged the riser off of my old stove and cut it down to fit this one. Got the front panel in and all cobbed up. It's ready to fire. Next step is getting some help moving it off of the platform that it was built on, give it a final plaster coat, and then construct the duct work through the wall.

mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:44 pm

I heart mannys 4" stove thread!

When do you expect to be cooking on this awesome machine?
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Re: I heart Toledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:05 pm

Just for you, Drew.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/otB9WMOgSpA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei0gOzUu7ik&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz0dptKokms&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H_UsnRp0TA&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/8_2KCYeSav8[/youtube]
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:07 pm

So, not sure what's going on with those youtube links. If you copy and paste into your browser they seem to work.
mannytheseacow

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling