Anyone ever installed an RMH in an existing fireplace?

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Anyone ever installed an RMH in an existing fireplace?

Postby alex52e » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:30 am

I've been reading over all the topics here since I found the site a few days ago. Something I have yet to see, and it has been brought to mind since I have burned through a ton of wood the past few days with temps here in the teens, is converting/retrofitting my existing fireplace as an RMH. Not sure how well it would work if it can be done at all.

Here is what I have now. The front opening is approx 33" wide by 22" at the sides and 27" in the middle of the arch. If memory serves, the back of the firebox is about 25"-26" and the depth is around 18"-20". I would guess the height inside the fireplace is about 36" at it's highest. That is purely a spitball guess though. I would provide exact measurements but I think you can see why I didn't. ;)

Thoughts?

alex52e

Re: Anyone ever installed an RMH in an existing fireplace?

Postby matt walker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:14 am

I think it's freaking gorgeous just the way it is man! To be honest, I haven't really ever seen an idea for a retro fit that I thought was worth building. I think you'll get a much better heater building a freestanding one somewhere else, and using the fireplace for the occasional recreational fire.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby hpmer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:09 pm

hpmer

Postby DrewInToledo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 pm

I agree with Matt.

Heres a neat link by someone who had a similar desire to experiment: http://www.iwilltry.org/b/2010/03/
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby alex52e » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:26 am

Thanks for the links. I will try to check them out soon. I've been busy weatherproofing my windows and doors after the electric bill doubled and the heat pump couldn't keep up with the extreme cold. For a few days, I had to burn HOT fires pretty much all day and blow the warm air from the bedroom into the living room just to keep it above about 60. Installed heat shrink window covering and it is MUCH better. :)
alex52e

Return to Heating and Cooling