[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Postby DrewInToledo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi all. I found a couple more photos to share.

Here's the hole I ripped into my roof. The white stuff you see is talcum powder. I didn't want to destroy a felt tip marker on the sandpaper-like shingles so I just put the flange in place and shook a generous amount of powder around the inner circumference. This was working really nice until the vibrations from the saw made the powder displace near the end of the hole so I just eyeballed the finish.

You can also note the truss that I cut off and sistered to the right.

And here's a quick snap of the entire install. I have the ceiling trim installed now which isn't in this photo.

So far, I've made a couple of fires. I mentioned that I've never owned a wood stove so I can't make comparisons, but this baby was kicking out the heat. I've never said it before, but I can now say that I'm partially looking forward to the weather getting chilly!
All of the fuel I burnt was fairly green, which I understand will drop the efficiency and can create creasote but that's all I had. I'm thinking about buying a cord of seasoned wood and mixing it in. I'd hate buying wood when I can get it free but nothing I have is seasoned.

I think I already have a feel for the procedure of getting the stove up to operating temperature. Basicaly, all dampers open for sull flame until the temp is up. Then, bring down the catalyst and leave for a bit. Then, start shutting down the intake.

TruGrit, if you're heating 900sf with this monster, you're surely going to stay warm. The room the stove is in is probably around a quarter of that (250-ish sf) and it was super hot and toasty. At first I had reservations about where I installed the stove, which is at the end of my house. The bedrooms are at the opposite end of the ranch and I prefer cooler sleeping temperatures so I think it's all going to work out.
Having said all of that, the temperature outdoors really hasn't been too cold, so my opinion may change.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby TruGrit » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:21 pm

.. great job Drew! .. that looks like a pro install .. me and the Mrs been checking your pix and getting excited .. stove pipe is in and waiting .. I been out back cutting up that Oak I dropped last year .. mmm, love me the smell of a 2-stroke .. and there ain't nothin' sweeter than a new chainsaw blade .. we should be all set for fuel, and the Mrs uses the sawdust as potpourri .. :mrgreen:

TruGrit

Postby matt walker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Yeah, that's looking great Drew. Nice to see the hole in the roof, that is so scary to think about but not that big a deal once you are in. I think you should go ahead and bite the bullet and get the seasoned wood. You will save yourself a lot of headaches, burning wet wood is a surefire way to frustration. Not only that, but I suspect it's really bad for the cat in that stove. Don't do it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks Matt.

You're going to LOVE burning that Oak, Tru!

Here's some footage of the secondaries you'll enjoy...

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:40 pm

Wow, that's awesome. Sweet jams too.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby TruGrit » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:59 pm

.. sweeet! .. a couple friends stopped by yesterday and said to holler when mine gets here, so I got some muscle lined up to huff that thing into place .. can't wait!

.. been using a tiny li'l box stove with the new pipe and it's heating the house pretty good, just not very long .. so I expect Soapy to do an excellent job!

.. still working on a cold air return system, may use the bathroom vent in the other end of the house with a fan attached to pull the cold air off the floor and pump it into the basement .. testing to come .. ;)

.. thanks for the updates Drew, very motivating .. stay warm! .. Tru
TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:43 pm

.. well, talked to the boys at Woodstock and they are buried in orders, so they offered me a deal .. if I wait till Feb, they will pay the shipping ($210) ... sounded like a offer I couldn't refuse .. we are plenty warm for now with our li'l box stove, just requires refueling every 2 hours .. :roll:

.. hope you all are staying warm and toasty!
TruGrit

Postby matt walker » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:11 pm

That's a great deal Tru, I'd do the same. I'm just back from the holiday with my family, and Mom and Dad really need a new stove. I am really curious to hear you and Drew's impressions of your stoves once you get them up and running. I'm really hoping Woodstock comes out with a smaller version, I know they've been talking about it for a while now.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling