New to the RMH world....

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: New to the RMH world....

Postby hpmer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:30 am

I've found the best way to test potential mixes is to follow Donkey's advice and make test pucks of various mixes. I use a large tuna fish can, top cut out and bottom cut to within an inch or so of the sides. The gives very consistent puck to compare.

I've had good results with a half clay, half wood ash mix, but right now I'm testing a new version adding paper pulp to the mix in various percentages. I just fired them yesterday while I used my stove to make maple syrup, so I'm anxious to see what the results are.

I'm hoping the paper pulp will have burned away leaving insulative air pockets throughout the mix without weakening it too much. It already held the mix together much better as it was setting up.

So take Matt's advice and go play with different setups and mixes. Everyone's clay soil seems to be a little different and so has different properties, so what works for one might be a total bust for you.

Good luck, man. These things are a bit addictive, so once you start down the road there may be no turning back.
hpmer

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling