Question from a friend

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Question from a friend

Postby matt walker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Good stuff Guy, I do have about 24" of brick hearth in front of the heater. All that said, those clearances are determined for each and every device and placed on a placard on the unit. The clearances are determined in the UL/ASTM testing process, which each heater must go through to be eligible for sale in this country, and in order to test the units they have to fit into one of the two testing protocols. At least, that's my understanding.

Manny, you hit on a very important point, and it does vary a lot state to state. I think in a lot of states a site built/self built masonry heater is not subject to the same regulation. I just know that in my state the laws cover installation as well as sales, and even masonry heaters must be a tested, state approved unit that is on an approved appliance list. No one offs or customs are legal here, they must use an approved firebox.

It's all very frustrating really. I can make you a wonderful heater, or a great gin, but I can't make either of those my business as a small business owner due to regulation. And I approve of the intent of the regulation on the former anyway, so I'm quite conflicted over the whole thing.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling