[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - My oven casting

My oven casting

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

My oven casting

Postby matt walker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:55 pm

Here's some detail on my outdoor oven, by request!

So, let's see...I was in a hurry, and wanted to use as little refractory as possible for this oven. The idea at the time being that I wanted to be able to pick it up and set it on top of a barrel easily. I still think that a relatively thin refractory oven "shell" is a good idea. You can build the mass out of free cob, and just use the refractory to eliminate the possibility of sand in your pizza.

So, like I said, I was in a hurry, and in my normal style I just glued some sticks together in my shop and made a little stick igloo. Covered it in newspaper to fill any gaps and started slapping refractory on it. I started with dense refractory, 130lb/cu.ft, and used about half a bag maybe? I think I got it about an inch thick or so, then switched to lighter refractory, 60lb/cu.ft and I do believe I mixed in fiberglass strands into this layer. I doubt my two layers were a good idea. It isn't separating, but if I wasn't imagining myself carrying the thing around I would rather have gone all dense and then insulated from outside. Anyway, here's some pics...

matt walker
Site Admin

Re: My oven casting

Postby matt walker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Hahahahaha! It's been a while since I looked at these photos. Man, that's pretty crappy work even for me! I must have been in a big hurry, look at those gaps. Thing works absolutely fantastic, still, so I guess it doesn't matter. Still....sorta funny.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Does the smoke come up through the oven? Is this a Black oven, or a white oven?
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:36 am

That's rad, Matt. Thanks so much for sharing that. I'm really glad you took pictures back when you did it.

So, obviously you've been using that thing for quite a while and the method is pretty solid; I'm looking at building a slightly larger oven with an inner floor about 24" x 32". Do you think the refractory can span that size without failing?

Guy: it's a black oven, sort of. There's just a small hole in the top of the barrel that can be open or shut to regulate temperatures. I'm guessing there's not too much smoke either way if it's fired with a rocket core.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Return to Heating and Cooling