[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Dammit Manny...

Dammit Manny...

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Dammit Manny...

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:10 am

Matt, here's a link to that buried tank:

Follow through the links on that page and you'll find more information than you probably ever wanted.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:07 am

Gah, this thread title has never been so appropriate. Covered the tub with bits of foam, greenhouse plastic, and this year's fleece last night. Tub is now 112, and (Dammit Manny) has a 500' coil exchange in it, all plumbed in to the water heater supply. I've been under the house, on the roof, on the ground, at the hardware store, under the house, GAH! Did I mention I hate plumbing?

I'm seriously so stoked though, I can't believe how well this crappy rig is working.

Also, thanks for that link Manny. Got me thinking for sure.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 am

You know, I was thinking as I was digging for that link that I posted, "wait, I'm building this barn and now would be the time to incorporate water heating panels into the front and sink a tank in the ground and run the water lines over to the house just like..." Ahhhh! I'm building this thing all wrong! I need to re-roof my house and my existing panels are in the way and I could get that big tank out of my basement and.... oh hell, I hate plumbing too! And my current system is working so for now.... I'll stick with what I've got, get this building up... and then tear it all apart next year.

That's great that the system is working so great for you. I'm so stoked that it's working and it's definitely cool to see someone else doing this. It's just so easy. I don't know your particular climate well enough to guess what problems you may have in colder months, but if it's working right now then you are saving money already. I'm guessing you have more than enough hot water at this point to cover all your hot water usage. Even if you do end up using that electric tankless heater, it will be only heating a small change in water temperature vs. that huge jump that you would have been trying to heat before. It's just a win-win situation. I don't know why 90% of the homes in America don't have these things.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling