6" RMH in northern Idaho

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: 6" RMH in northern Idaho

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:43 pm

How is that build coming, Nirky? I've been excited to see some kind of update on what you're doing.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:32 pm

+1 !!!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby Nirky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 pm

I took all your advice and put a 4" pad of perlite/fire clay/fireplace mortar on the cement floor, then rebuilt the core & riser on top.
Surrounded the core with 2+ inches of perlite.
Before, after several 3 & 4 hr burns, only the top third of the prism developed that blue discoloration.
Now after one 4-hr burn, most all of the prism is blueish, so it seems the temps are considerably higher.
Poured a 4-inch thick wall of concrete around the perimeter of the bricks, so no smoke leaks anymore.
One strange thing, it has a strong draw and the rocket is loud, but at times it will pulsate. Like 4 or 5 pulses per second.
Is that some kind of restriction in the system somewhere? It pulsated at times on the first build also.
Still don't have an insulating blanket around the riser yet, that's the next step.
I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande, those wounds run pretty deep.
Nirky

Postby matt walker » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Awesome Nirky, great to get an update and hear that you took the advice offered. You'll be glad you did, and it's already showing the improvements. Not just the bluing, but the pulsing is also a sign of a heater that is trying to take off. I have only seen well running heaters achieve pulse mode. I am not saying you want to keep it like that, but it's a good sign that things are capable of running really well. I think it's that the thing is running so well that it's trying to draw in faster than it can equalize pressure, like pouring out a bottle straight upside down and it pulses while it gulps air. Same sorta thing, I think. Typically a little adjustment of the intake by putting a brick over part of the feed or the like will stop the pulsing. Good stuff. Make sure you get that riser insulated, it will make all the difference once you start running it for any amount of time as the season gets colder.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby ByronC » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Very good to hear of the progress there Nirky. All your hard work will pay back in the form of a well performing stove, more heat out of less wood, and etc.

The pulsing is the "afterburner" trying to kick in:-> Reducing the fed air will stop the high frequency pulsing, as Matt suggests. Or you could take the pulse mode as a cue to drop in an extra stick of wood or two, which accomplishes the same thing as far as reducing excess combustion air.

Drop in some more photos when ya get a chance.
ByronC

Postby ApeironCreations » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:01 am

This is just absolutely wonderful!! I've found myself on the edge of my seat reading through these posts! I'm so glad to hear good news from all sides of the story here.

Also lots of good information here I'm still planning the build of my rocket stove!!

Got a 50 gallon barrel (half) full of the perlite fire clay mix. Unfortunately last build it was far too cold and the mix way to wet. It sat for almost a month and never set :\ hoping to restart my build soon. Especially with cold season in bound.

Best of luck to you friend hope to hear more of your adventure with RMH!
ApeironCreations

Postby Nirky » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:44 am

Okay so I got the 1" ceramic blanket today. What's the best way to attach the two ends together? Steel wire?
Pulse Mode: ON!
I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande, those wounds run pretty deep.
Nirky

Postby matt walker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:42 am

Yeah, just wrap it around the riser and use wire loops every 8" or so. Or, you know, whatever seems right. You don't want to compress it too much, but you want to hold it snugly against the riser.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling