Downdraft /smokeback with our heater

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Downdraft /smokeback with our heater

Postby matt walker » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:59 am

We have strict regulations here. If I were you I would be inclined to put in a chimney to code. it will be expensive, but will be right and work well, and you won't need to hide it so you can go high enough to draft well.
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Downdraft /smokeback with our heater

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:31 pm

I often feel that it is better to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission, but in this case I agree with Matt. Do it right the 1st time. Get the permit [ if one is required ] build the chimney to code, contact your insurance agent, touch all the bases, fire safety is a BIG DEAL, do not take chances, do not do something that could effect your insurance, do not do something that could allow the county to require you to remove and destroy your heater. The fact that your chimney is below the roof line does not mean that your neighbors have not seem it yet. Believe me it has been my experience that neighbors see everything. If they were going to complain I think they would have done it by now. Good luck with the process.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling