Rocket Stove Thermos Stew, it's what's for dinner

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Rocket Stove Thermos Stew, it's what's for dinner

Postby hpmer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:34 pm

The pairing of a rocket stove and a thermos has to be the most efficient long duration cooking method ever invented. Just like haybox cooking back in the day.

A few sticks bring the stew to a boil and then it cooks all day with no more inputs.

Here's the method for anyone interested:

. Cut up ingredients and add them to thermos.
. Add liquid to just under cap
. Pour into a pan and bring to a boil
. Pour into thermos, cap and let stand for five minutes
. Pour back into pan and bring back to a second boil
. Pour back into thermos, cap and let it cook

It will be ready to eat in 30 minutes but will stay hot and continue to cook for 8 hours or more. If you add brown rice it will take 90 minutes or so to fully cook. One downside to this cooking method is you have to plan it in advance, but once in the thermos the window to eat it is measured in hours. I add frozen beef and it cooks it all day and ends up tender like any all day stew.

Great to take along when hiking, hunting, and long road trips. I started mine at 11am today and ate at 5:30pm and still had to let it cool a bit before eating.

All you need is a good thermos, a funnel, a pan and a heating device. Sure you could cheat and use a burner, but it's better if you use your rocket stove. Pretty easy to prepare and tastes great.

Give it a try some time. It's become a favorite way to cook for me.
hpmer

Re: Rocket Stove Thermos Stew, it's what's for dinner

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Ha! What an awesomely simple idea! I was recently turned on to the haybox idea, which makes total sense... I will totally be doing this thermos thing when I get home.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Return to Heating and Cooling