Walker Riser-less core

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Walker Riser-less core

Postby 67GTO » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:03 pm

That is absolutely beautiful. Would you be able to make the core with the castable and perlite like you did with the RMH?
Dumb question, but how could this core be used with a bench or other heat storage mass? Would you extend the "oven" portion?
As a mass heat device would you be limited to going only in one direction?

Again bravo
67GTO

Postby Nirky » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:05 pm

Love it. And you know what I'd love even more? A video of it in action.
I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande, those wounds run pretty deep.
Nirky

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:28 am

Thanks guys! GTO, it could for sure be the front end for a variety of mass storage designs. A bench off of the oven in this build would be a great addition, there's plenty of power in the core.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby 4seasons » Sat May 02, 2015 5:06 pm

I've been trying to wrap my head around this thing for a month now and I still don't think I understand how it is working. Must be just how far ahead of me Matt really is.

1. The thing that is throwing me the most is the tiny bell over the port opening. In the PvBb all the different size boxes still used a 2 inch deep port opening. (I always thought that was odd, but never got around to experimenting with different sizes to check it out) From what I can see the port is about 12 inches long with a 90 degree bend in the middle and a small 4x4x4 inch bell over the whole port. Is this really what makes the elimination of riser height possible or am I looking at it all wrong?

2. a. I have read several mentions of a bypass and damper but can not find any pictures and you said you eliminated them as they were not needed. Are you just controlling the burn at the wood loading door then? Speaking of the door I have only seen one small picture of the load door and it looks like two small doors stacked on top of each other. Did you build that door yourself, how does it work, or am I completely confused on the wood loading door?
b. On Donkey's site you mentioned smoking brisket, ribs, and pork. I have always found that beef smokes best at 220F but you said this oven runs about 350F. How are you creating smoke since rocket stoves run smokeless and are you smoking at a higher temp than I have found to work to get the thin blue smoke and a great flavor.

3. On the secondary air, from the pictures it looks like you used some type of 2 inch square tubing down the middle of the fire box. Is there a layer of brick over the tube, or is it exposed to the fire and ash directly? Also at the back of the fire box do you not get ashes falling into the secondary tube and blocking air flow or is there something more that I am missing?

I really love the look of this stove and with a little modification I think it would fit right in my living room where my old smoke dragon now resides. I have so much respect for you Matt and this newest build is the best looking rocket stove I have ever seen, as well as coming closest to fitting my wish list of a wood stove that can cook and heat the house all winter.

P.S. What did you use for mortar for the core? Did you use the same mix for the outer brick layer as well?
4seasons

Postby matt walker » Sun May 03, 2015 2:54 am

Thanks 4!

1) I, uh, I think you are looking at it right...but, I dunno, I think it's a system. Not any one feature.

2)Yeah, door is enough control, bypass is going back in for warm weather start ups though. Door is a pisla product, I hate that it is divided.

There's lots of ways to smoke...I used to cook at 220 but I've been cooking higher for a while now, and I like the results. I add wood chips to the bottom of the oven for smoke.

3) Exposed. No ash problem.

Cob, basically. Sand and clay.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Mon May 11, 2015 1:48 am

Matt, you've been way too quiet! I predict you have another awesome project up your sleeve.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Tue May 12, 2015 3:52 am

Gah, I wish. I'm up to my ears in work at the moment, and trying to exercise and eat and manage the animals and put in long hours working, I can just barely answer my emails. By the time I get here, I kinda glaze over and just make sure she's still ticking along. I apologize for the absence. These projects are starting to wrap up here, so I'll hopefully get back to the 'stead before I lose the miniature cows in the tall grass!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue May 12, 2015 10:37 pm

Welcome to my world! Work, school, family, hobbies....

Sounds like you just need bigger cattle! :lol:
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling