[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Comparing differential growth rates among manalucie tomatoes

Comparing differential growth rates among manalucie tomatoes

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Postby George Collins » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Following is an experiment that I will be conducting this year. The experiment will compare the differential growth rates of manalucie tomatoes planted three different ways:
- From transplants started in doors 8 weeks prior to average last frost date and planted out on the day of the average frost date
- From germinated seeds started 5 days prior to last frost date and planted out on last frost date or as close to that date as possible
- Direct seeding on the last frost date.

Results will be recorded via electronic scales to determine the total amount of fruit produced per vine and results tabulated. The intent is to turn this into an quasi-scientific exercise for the benefit of the permsteading community.

The null hypothesis being tested: there is no difference between the amount of fruit produced by manalucie tomatoes regardless of the planting method used.

This page is intended to be a rough draft/record keeping journal and ultimately, via the edit feature, where the final paper will be posted.

Feb 6
- Fifteen planting cups were made from newspaper using 10.75 ounce campbell's soup can as a guide
- Each cup was filled with 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 cups of Black Kow compost
- A single seed was placed in roughly the center of each cup and enough compost was added to cover each tomato seed to a depth of ~ 1/16",
- Approximately 1/16th cup of water was sprinkled into each pot
- All pots were then placed into a plastic covered environment and left to germinate in a room with a relatively constant ambient temperature of 72 degrees.

Feb 10 - Four of the fifteen tomatoes have sprouted.
Feb 13 - Ten of the fifteen have sprouted

Last edited by George Collins on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Comparing differential growth rates among manalucie toma

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:56 pm

WOW,,,,, I am impressed. Great experiment George. We will all be interested in your results. You seem to be keeping great records so far. Keep up the good work.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:27 pm

I've got my own preconceived notions about what we might learn from your results. I'll be following this with great interest. Great idea using the cake packaging for a seedling cover.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Good start! Can I use the plastic "grow box" as an excuse to pick up a cake from the reduced rack at the grocery store?

I'm looking forward to your results, George. Time for me to order some seeds.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:38 pm

I have been thinking about buying seeds as well. But our last frost date is ALOT later that Mississippi. When I saw that you were already planting tomatos I really wanted to start some, but its way too early here. I have not really even looked at any seed Co books yet. I have been looking at asperigus plants, but that is about as far as I have gotten.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:08 am

I had sis mark up a seed catalog for me while I was north this weekend. If I order soon it might be time to start some things about a week after the seed arrives.

George, I'm guessing that manalucie tomatoes are a specific strain like Beefsteak or Roma's. Is there a reason for having so many plants of one type? Right now I'm thinking about four different kinds of tomatoes for different uses. Is there a big flaw in my thinking that I haven't seen yet?
Lollykoko

Postby George Collins » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:18 am

"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:52 am

Thanks for the follow-up info. I thought they might be more heat tolerant than other varieties, but it never hurts to ask.
Lollykoko

Postby eeldip » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:28 am

should be an interesting experiment. my thought would be that in an ideal world, you could also try this experiment over a sampling of a few different years now and again.

my guess being that the direct sown and smaller plants might develop a better root system and suffer less transplant shock and totally catch up in terms of fruit production. but if there is a slow spring, they would lose out.

however, as fellow pacNWer's will agree, its all useless information for us. all tomatoes roads here lead to disappointment. (unless you count sungolds...)
eeldip

Postby matt walker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm

It's true Eeldip. Tomatoes are so difficult to grow here. I've read that they just shut down at 50*, and that's an average nighttime temp in midsummer for me.

I too expect the direct sown tomatoes will be the leaders here, unless the weather conspires to slow 'em down dramatically.
matt walker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest