My Garden 2012

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: My Garden 2012

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:14 am

It sounds like the garden is keeping you busy, Guy. I suspect I should check on my potatoes and garlic this weekend, and grab the cherry tomatoes that are past green before they get over-ripe and hit the ground.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:32 am

It was definately time for me to pull out the Garlic Lolly. The onions should be next but I am letting them in the ground for now. I do not think they will rot just yet. About 1/2 of my garden area looks like it is dead or dying because the plants are done growing and the produce needs pulled out of the ground. I may dig the potatos next week.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:03 pm

I think today is garlic day for me as well. My potatoes are going strong, just starting to flower. Otherwise, my garden is very green, and full of weeds. There is a ton of food as well though. Lately it's been strawberries, raspberries, broccoli, and greens. The squash are just starting, I'll be buried in zukes in few more weeks.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Been a long time since an update, so here's a brief one. Harvested most of the potatoes yesterday and got them into the new root cellar. I had a good harvest of the first onions, and round two, which I started from seed is just about ready. I've been steadily sowing still. Cauliflower a week ago or so, some arugula, cabbage, mustard greens, another row of carrots and radish. More onions, more beans. All are coming up great and I'm eating really well. One thing I'm exceptionally pleased with is my peppers this year. The greenhouse is kicking out a LOT of peppers daily, but the real success is the Hugel bed from my "google my hugel" video. I've had it under a low tunnel all summer and the pepper plants in there are unbelievably vigorous. I'm going to have a huge harvest out of that bed this year, which I'm thrilled about. I might even get some corn this year!

Not so good has been carrots, which I typically do great with but I'm having a real infestation of rodents this year and they are playing hell with the carrots and beets. The beets I don't mind so much as I don't really crave them that much but the carrots are a staple for me, so I'm a bit pissed off at the little fellas. I did build a new bed outside of the garden, just near the house, with a new low tunnel, which is where I sowed the new row of carrots last week. Hopefully I can recoup my losses there before it gets too cold.

I canned my first round of tomato sauce yesterday, out of the greenhouse, and the outside toms just are starting to turn. If it doesn't get too cold at night over these next few weeks I'll have a great harvest.

I also just planted some perennial wheat, and am excited to see how that goes over winter. I've been meaning to get a garden video up, but haven't gotten around to it. Soon, I hope.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest