[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - My Garden 2012

My Garden 2012

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

My Garden 2012

Postby matt walker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:06 am

Well, I'm the world's laziest garden journal writer, but it's something I want to work on for this year. I thought I would bore you all with regular updates and stuff so I could keep track of what I did when and how it worked out for me. So, with that in mind, this is going to be my garden journal for 2012. I had the thought of making a sub section in this forum, similar to the "education" one, where we all could do this. If anyone cares to do the same, I will do that and move this there. Otherwise, keep watching this spot for exciting posts like, "I planted Mache today." Lol. Feel free to distract me with questions or comments, or just point and laugh when appropriate.

Here's the first cliff hanger.

Started onion seeds inside 1 -15ish. As of 2-22 they are up and doing well, except the little flat italian ones, which were old seed. I'll start some new ones of that variety soon.
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: My Garden 2012

Postby Jostein » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 am

If you attach some pictures every now and then it would be nice. Love seeing updates of how it goes, pictures really makes it even better =)
Jostein

Postby matt walker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 am

How about video?

Here's a walk through the garden today. I apologize in advance for the video. It's long, and has terrible camera work and stuff, but you can get an idea of the garden before I start the season.

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 am

Well, I got the shovel going in the garden for the first time this year today. Reconfiguring the northern bed. Got some small alder buried in the bed, and a big pile of dirt going. I'm going to implement what we talked about a while ago. Slope the bed towards the south to try to create a warm spot to start greens and stuff. I'm considering planting a couple trees on the back side, and berries on the upper face. Getting it going as kind of a perennial northern border to the garden, or something.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:29 am

Sounds great, Matt. I'm still drooling over catalogs. One I was looking at while I was north had lots of berry options, and many of them were shade tolerant. Of course, I left it there so I can't tell you the name of the place :? , but it was in TN.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:03 am

Seeded the new bed with Oats, Vetch, a few kinds of Peas, and Buckwheat. Mulched it with straw. After that was done I puttered around the garden and transplanted into the new bed some chives, green onions, kale, mint, a strawberry plant, and two Mirabella Plum trees that I dug up from underneath my favorite old tree in the old orchard. I don't have much hope of the plums living or producing, but it'll be interesting to see what happens. I also used loppers to get a few willow whips which I stuck in the ground along one side of the garden fence, as a start/test for the living fence idea. Well see.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:32 am

3-6-12 Started greens and a few more onions inside.
3-7-12 Fenced the back line with 450' of welded wire and T-posts. That completes the perimeter of the upper property.
3-8-12 Sheet mulched around berries in the garden. Set up the season's first low tunnel and seeded radish, carrot, greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onion, and beets. Moved lots more mulch into garden and covered more areas.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:53 am

You are so far ahead of us here in the North East. I have been out digging in the garden for a new hugelbed next to the one I did last year. The local grocery store just got some onion sets in, I have not bought any yet. I have a bunch of potatos in the basement under the steps that have all started to root, I may try and plant then St Patty's day. That is the traditional date around here to plant potatos and maybe peas. I did finaly order my asperigas plants. I got then from Gurneys, two year old hybred plants that are all male. Jersy Knight and Jersy Suprem I think. I also ordered 3 Gooseberry plants. Two pix well and one red variety. I have never eaten a gooseberry, but I have wanted to grow them for some unknown reason for low these many years now. So now I will. :lol: I am just about done with digging the dirt out of my new hole and will start to put some logs and organic matter in soon. I did finally get my Tractor fixed, so now I can drag stuff out of the woods. The tractor had not run for several years, I was really happy to get it running again. It is an old Farmall 300 Utility with the Fast hitch on the back. It is one heck of a Machine, but that Operator isn't worth a Darn. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Glad to hear that your tractor is running, Guy. I love my Farmall H (1951)in part because it is soooo simple to work on. All I need is to find a bunch of PTO activated tools.

Ever eat canned fruit cocktail? Those grape looking things are gooseberries.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:40 pm

WOW, I didn't know that.... :o
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest