[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Collins Kids Nut Forest

Collins Kids Nut Forest

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Collins Kids Nut Forest

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:15 am

George, I hope you enjoy your climate and the ability to work the ground year round.

At first I was going to envy the fact that you could be out there planting a dozen trees today. But really, I don't want that climate or I would have moved already. :D I was at my place today and it is COLD for a change. Well, today the temperature was up to 25F. Not nearly as cold as Alaska, I know. ;)

There are advantages to having distinct seasons. Last winter was very mild. Come harvest, some crops were spotty to non-existent. Perhaps this fall we will get some apples!
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:49 pm

I agree Lolly, there are advantages to having a full range of seasons. But I have to say, the older I get, the more I think about heading south for at least a week or two in Feb to see green grass and flowers blooming to lift my spirits a bit. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:00 pm

I have a question. I have been thinking about planting some nut trees this spring. Some Hazel nuts as a privacy barrier and some almonds and pecans and maybe some Chinese chestnuts just because I want to. I have been on the Willis Orchard site and they have Type 1 and type 2 pecan trees. Being from the North and not knowing anything about pecans I wonder what is the difference between the type 1 and type 2 trees. They claim that most all of these trees will grow in my area [ Zone 6 ] but then they have a " Northern " pecan tree section listing 3 other trees. Since Willis is located in the south I was just a little bit worried about buying trees from them. I normally prefer to order from Northern growers so that I know the trees are hardy for our northern winters. What can anyone tell me about the different types of pecan trees as well as any tips about growing Pecans, or Almonds, as well as telling me their experiences with Willis Orchards. Thanks for the help.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:56 pm

I've ordered from Willis Orchards three times. Twice I was we'll pleased. Once I was highly dissatisfied. After the 2012 planting season was over, I happened upon some place on the Internet that reviews nurseries. Willis Orchard received substantially more negative reviews than positive ones.

Type 1 pecan trees are considered early pollinators and type 2's later.

I have known a few people that have experience with pecans and for a home planting, they recommend direct seeding. The one lady that seemed to know the most, advised me to get seeds from a seedling that bore large nuts. That is exactly what I did last year. Additionally, air layering is supposedly a good technique for propagating pecans so if you knew of a pecan in your area that was productive, you might want to explore that route.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 am

Thanks for the information George. Knowing what type 1 and type 2 trees are is a big help. I would guess that you plant 2 of either type 1 or Type 2 together so that they will pollinate each other well. I will look for another nursery from the information you have passed on to me. I was a bit reluctant to order trees from a Nursery that far South any way. I would love to air graft a tree here locally but I do not know any one around here who grows pecans or almonds. I do not even know of a local source for nuts in the shell. The nuts that are available in the Grocery store would be roasted or treated or salted I would guess. The seed catalogs seems to sell only the trees and not the nuts to grow trees. I do not see other options other than buying 2 trees to pollinate each other. Since the Mountain is so close to me we have always been zone 5 here locally. Pecans only grow up to Zone 6 . The new maps now have us as a Zone 6. Maybe I am pushing the envelope a bit but I do not think so any more. That maybe the reason that no one grows pecans around here, conventional wisdom has always told us we were too far North. The newer cold hardy varieties as well as the global warming thing have now made pecans a possibility for my home garden. I would love to plant a larger Southern variety with bigger nuts, thinner shells and better flavor, but I will have to settle for what will grow here on the Hill. Thanks for the Info George, I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge about Pecans. When it comes to Pecans I truly am a Dummy. :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby George Collins » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:06 pm

George Collins

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:30 pm

WOW, That is exactly the opposite of what I would have thought. Having both trees producing pollen at the same time would seem to be the ticket to me and my feeble little mind. I know apple trees that are considered good pollinators for each other because they flower at the same time. I guess having the pollen floating around the area for a much longer time is the key with pecans. Thanks for the information George, I would have made a HUGE mistake in my selections with out your input. I knew that you have a lot of pecan trees growing at your place and that you would know your stuff when it comes to growing pecans. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with a Yankee that does not know any thing about growing these wonderful nuts.

PS I may be a Yankee, but I am NOT a Damn Yankee. I do not plan on moving south to stay or take your Jobs, I only come down that way to spend money on Vacation. ;) I think that makes me acceptable lol :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby George Collins » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Guy, all of the pecans planted in our place were either planted by others long ago or are chance seedlings. That is to say, I don't know jack about that tree other than what I've read over the past few months. This year will be the first year that I've ever attempted such and the few pecans that I will likely plant will come exclusive from seed or perhaps, if it works, air layering. Since we already have many trees around that are currently producing, I'm sure the ones I plant will be productive regardless of which category they fall into.

Because we have so many and because there are many seedlings that are of various ages, I have put a low priority on learning much about pecans. The only reason I'm even planting any this year is to propagate one particular, exceptional seedling and it is intended to merely fill in some gaps in the existing orchard. If this works though, one day, I may plant several as part of an even grander project than the ones currently being attempted.

George Collins

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest