Collins Kids Nut Forest

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Collins Kids Nut Forest

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:49 pm

During our trip home on Sunday I was telling my friend about the Collins Kids Nut Forest. I mentioned the method you used to prepare the nuts for planting, George. If there is more to it than what Guy just listed, I missed something she might want to know.
Lollykoko

Postby George Collins » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 am

Sorry about that y'all. I meant to respond to this earlier and got sidetracked.

Posting from an iPhone is not as conducive to scrolling back and froth to tease out questions and provide answers so let me just give a run down with as much detail as possible concerning planting black walnuts.

First, the principles behind germination of black walnuts.

To break dormancy, black walnut seed require a period of cold stratification of 3-4 months. Cold stratification requires a temperature in the low 40s to high 30s. After that, they require the same things to germinate as any other seed: warmth and moisture.

Black walnuts, unlike many or most other hardwoods, can survive dessication (drying out).

Now for specifics:
Along about this time of year, we begin gathering seeds from trees that grow locally. Once they are all gathered, we will pot them up in as many layers as possible in large tubs alternated with damp layers of vermiculite, peat moss and compost (Mel's mix). After an unknown amount of time, they will be dug up and if the husk has softened, dehusked. Once the husk has been removed, they are put (usualy) into 3-gallon buckets. The bottom of the bucket is lined with Mel's mix and then a layer of walnuts is added at the maximum density but not exceeding a single layer. Next, we add another layer of Mel's mix and then another layer of seeds. This process is continued until the top of the bucket is reached. After the bucket is full, it is covered with tin foil and placed in the pantry fridge with the date written in sharpie on the outside of the bucket.

Since black walnuts can survive dessication, you can now manipulate the process to force the nuts onto your planting timetable. In this climate, based on the previous year's experience, next year's crop will need to be planted between March 15 and April 15. To accomplish this, I merely back off 4 months from March 1st to arrive at a date when the seeds need to enter stratification, which in this case is November 15th through December 1st.

Once the seeds have spent the appropriate amount of time in the fridge, they will be pulled out and placed into pots of Mel's mix. They will be arranged one layer only per bucket and each seed will be laid on its side and pushed into the soil such that 1/2 of the width of the seed is visible above the soil line.

Once the seeds come out of the fridge, beginning about two weeks later, things will transpire quickly. Because the Mel's mix is so friable, you can check each seed daily or every other day and if, while doing so, you pick up a seed with a long radicle, it is unlikely that it will be grossly damaged.

Once the seeds has germinated, you can plant it out into its permanent position.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Is removing the husk a requierment George? I had not planned on doing that because I felt that nature would plant the walnut with the hust on under the fall leaves. I looked at the rotting husk as added nutrients for the newly growing seed. I do not know if I am thinking right here, but that was my thought. Since our winters are cold up here I will not have to put my seeds into the ref, I will just let them sit outside for 4 months. We are in the 40's at night here already, frost advisory 2 days ago, it is fall here and the leaves are just starting to turn. So I may get 5 or 6 months of cold temps for the seeds. Again, since I live in this climate I feel that nature would be doing the same thing to the seeds. If they grow just by falling to the ground, or just by having a squirrle dig a hole to hide them in the ground I feel I should be OK. I am not sure, the squirrles may bite off the husk befor they plant them. I may have to be more observant. :?
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:44 am

I was flipping through the Mississippi Market Bulletin a couple weeks back and saw and advertisements for Cauley apple trees. A quick Internet search revealed that the Cauley was developed in Mississippi, almost went extinct twice, is a consistent producer of apples that can weigh over a pound each and the parent tree produced over one ton of apples throughout the 1930s.

$15.00.

I called.

She said she had plenty and I would be welcome to come by and see all of the offerings in addition to the Cauley. Come to find out, she does her own grafting and has agreed to teach me how in early March of next year.

In addition to the 6 or 7 Cauley apples, I also purchased 4 Warren pears, 3 Ayers pears, and 3 Asian pears (20th Century).

Also, there are many live oaks, saw tooth oaks, white oaks, hickories, pecans, chinquapins, American chestnuts, figs, and paw paws that are in varying stages of growth. This years plantings look as if they are going to dwarf last years - potentially by a wide margin in every area save the walnut grove. There we may scale back to ~ one acre to keep this one project from completely monopolizing all of our attention.

George Collins

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Best of luck with the new tree purchases, George. I have a dozen bare root trees that Sis bought for the farm, then dropped off at my place for me to deal with. Somehow planting trees in December just doesn't seem right!
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Wow! What a great resource you've hit upon there George. Please do a "how to" post for grafting once you get up to speed. I'm dying to learn but haven't found the time yet.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Finding a Local source for your trees is Great George. You know that they grow well and produce well in your climate. When I buy trees I always try and find a Northern supply because I want to make sure that the trees will with stand my winters. You have to opposite problem, will they survive and produce fruit in your heat. I did find Millers Nursery but have not yet bought anything from them. I have bought a few trees from Mussers Nusery here in Pa. They are the largest supplier of Christmas Tree seedlings in the world. They have several varieties of Chinese Chestnut trees for sale as well as one native American Chestnut tree that they grow from a tree that survived the Blight in Mich. I am like Matt, I have never done any grafting, but the basic process does not look to be all that difficult. I am sure your success rate will be greatly improved if you have a teacher that can show you some of the best tricks of the trade. If a few trees do not make it and die, Oh Well. Don't worry, the trees that do make it through will be worth the effort
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 pm

We jumped hard and fast today.

The holidays over, the hog killin behind us, we awoke this morning with a purpose. Well . . . I did. The kids were still groggy when I called, "Everybody up. Get on your work clothes!" at 0645. They managed to roll out though and after a expedited breakfast, we started plating trees. We planted:
- 2 LSU Gold figs
- 2 Cauley apples
- 2 Warren pears
- 2 Ayers pears
- 2 Twentieth Century pears
- 12 live oaks.

These were all planted as an extension of what I termed last year the "nut forest." Obviously there is much here that doesn't qualify as nuts. What everything here does qualify for is hog food and to a lesser extent, food suitable for humans. The 12 live oaks were planted in 50' triangulated scheme with the option of interplanting fruit producing trees that will hopefully one day be shaded out. However, until that time, they will, hopefully, supply much free hog feed. The effect desired for this portion of the pasture is the Spanish le dehesa. We'll see.

A couple weeks ago, we laid out the spacing for three rows of trees on a hillside that faces south and west. Those three rows were intended for pecans, apples and pears.

The pecans being the tallest are intended for the top of the hill. The apples, being the next tallest are intended to be immediately down hill from the pecans and the pears downhill further still. The pecans are being planted on 50' centers, the apples on 45' centers and the pears on 40' centers. This planting scheme is intended to maximize light penetration to the ground to maintain as strong a grass production as possible. These three rows only get us part of the way down the hill. The next row will likely consist primarily of peaches and plums.

Youngblood's barn sits firmly on the apex of the hill and about 200' away from the row of pecans. The figs were planted on the south side of that barn and about 2' away. Word has it that figs do well up against a building. Time will tell.

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 am

Today's haul was 11 pawpaws, 1 fig, 1 Cauley apple, and 3 pears (20th Century, Warren and Ayers). We also potted up 48 chestnuts.

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 am

Dang George, you are an inspiration. I really hope we are all still hanging out here in ten years. I want to see your place then. It's gonna be amazing.
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest