[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Oyster mushrooms and coffee

Oyster mushrooms and coffee

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Oyster mushrooms and coffee

Postby matt walker » Sat May 26, 2012 4:09 am

Dang, those look great Graham. Yum.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby GrahamB » Sat May 26, 2012 5:53 pm

I was up early this morning with two of the kids. Each day we spend a couple of hours up in the field cutting hay while mom and the other twin works on the vegetable garden, and then makes breakfast for everyone. We finished dragging down the dry hay from the past days cutting just in time for breakfast and there on my plate was free range eggs from our friend, homemade biscuits and gravy and a beautiful pile of mushrooms. I can honestly say they are the best tasting mushrooms I have ever eaten, and I have eaten a lot of mushrooms in my life. They have a really nice earthy taste to them that has an aftertaste of chicken. I can't wait for the next batch now.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby matt walker » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Graham, I saw a little oyster growing kit in Home Depot the other day and thought of you and your delicious mushrooms. I've been off in a million different directions lately, but still want to follow your lead. A question: do they grow through the summer or is it better to wait until the cooler seasons to do something like this?

Oh, also, the hay cutting...are you doing this with machinery, or are you guys scything and stacking or something similar?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby GrahamB » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:38 am

The ones I had are warm weather oysters. You can get different ones for different times of the year. I've used all the remaining rye seed and mixed a load of grounds with equal amount of shredded paper. I will let you know this batch fairs. As I posted in the other thread, something is stealing the caps off the ones in the barn. I may have to boost up my security on them somehow.
I am using a trimmer with a brushcutter blade to cut the hay at the moment. I did buy a scythe from a swap meet about a month ago, but the blade needs some work and the snathe needs replacing as it is pretty dry and cracked as well as being too short for me.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby Lemicha » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 am

Ohhhh :o I have been staring at a couple of containers of coffee grounds for a week or so now...they need emptying into the garden
(not overflowing and making a mess *cough cough* ) ....but 'methinks' I have now got a better use for them....
Mwahhaha :lol: Thank you GrahamB so very much for posting this idea... :D

Although I will have to check for mould...if it is not ok I am going to start throwing my grounds in a bag in the freezer....
wow every few weeks will be enough for a new bag to grow in *excited*
...ohhh and I could make areas on the other side of the wall that will be warmed from the rocket heater.....yeah!! :P
Someone else's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Dream like a child...Plan like an adult
Lemicha

Postby GrahamB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 pm

I collect all mine in gallon zip lock bags and then put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes per bag to sterilize. The last batch in the Rubbermaid tote are doing better than the ones I did in the bags. There is more of an even growth, plus adding an equal quantity of shredded paper helped with the moisture content.
GrahamB

Postby Lemicha » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 am

That's a good idea too *ticking*.....would love to see an updated picture of the shredded paper mixture in the 'tote' VS the bags... :mrgreen: please....???

A link to a world of mushroom making videos on YouTube :shock: WOW!!
Someone else's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Dream like a child...Plan like an adult
Lemicha

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:09 pm

EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby GrahamB » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Brew, there is a temperature range but I'm darned if I can find my notes right now. If I can remember it was roughly room temperature. The most important thing is the moisture content. I found if you just grab the grounds out of the pot and try and use it, it will be too wet. The last batch I did was subjected to about five minutes in the microwave and then left to stand for a day or two with the bag open. Then I added the inoculated grain.
GrahamB

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest