[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - New addition to the farm today!

New addition to the farm today!

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

New addition to the farm today!

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Well, I just turned around and looked out the window, and there's a new critter out there!

I had been looking at Mama Cow's udders growing bigger these last few weeks, and thought it was gonna happen, but I'm a noob so wasn't confident. Well, it happened!

I'm pretty excited. The bull was being a jerk, so I got everyone out of the paddock so mama could have some peace. She seems calm and is caring for the baby. The calf is standing and trying to nurse, although I haven't seen it succeed yet. It's not even an hour old though, so I'm not worried.

You folks familiar with cows, is it normal for the bull to kinda harass a new mama? He's out of there now, but I'm expecting one more and wondering if I should try to isolate the two cow/calves or isolate the bull or???
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: New addition to the farm today!

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:19 pm

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 pm

Congratulations on the newest member of the homestead, Matt.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks for sharing the video Matt. It was great to see the new born calf. Congrats on the addition to the homestead.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:11 am

Matt, I just called Younblood and asked him about the actions of your bull. He has kept cows his whole life (he is 74 years old) and he says that he has never known of a bull interfering with a cow and her calf or even changing his behavior in any way because of a birth. One thing we did talk about though is how cows, when free to do so, self-seclude themselves while giving birth and for a few days afterwards. He says they do this to facilitate mother-offspring bonding so they can identify each other once they rejoin the herd.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby matt walker » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:08 am

Thanks everybody. George, I really appreciate you calling Youngblood, thank you. I had a hell of a last few hours. That dang bull really wants at the little one, or the mom, I can't tell. He broke through two fences to get to 'em. I was there within thirty seconds since I had been out in the barn anyway, but he was harassing both of 'em already. He's not real aggressive, with them or me, but just kinda poking and pushing. Anyway, I did finally get things organized. I've got the two cows and the calf in a stall that has a small paddock, and the bull with the sheep in a pasture where they can't really see the other three.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:04 am

I just watched calf #2 come into the world. What a wonderful thing, I just love spring around the 'stead. The newest one is a little girl, and the one from Wednesday is a little boy. Perfect. I've been having continued trouble with the bull going through fences to try to get to the cows. I spent all day yesterday, and way too much money, on sectioning off the lower pasture to contain him, and this morning he rewarded me by coming through the main fence into the front yard. Back to the feed store for more poly wire and supplies, and after another day of fencing and more cash, I think I finally have him. He's got 10,000 volts on all sides now, and he knows it. He's calmed right down and is chilling in the barn where he is only about 8 feet from the other two, which he could have done all along. Argh. Anyway, I'm very happy about the little ones, and the fact that this guy can go in the freezer in a few months.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:34 am

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby GrahamB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 pm

Congratulations Matt. Grew up with calves and lambs,and it still doesn't get old.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby matt walker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks Graham. I agree, it's always a wonder. Heard peeping yesterday and found a couple baby chicks under one of my broody hens. Woke up this morning to at least six, probably a few more underneath her. Really pleased about that, my chicken population has traditionally been a constantly decreasing one. I think I'm turning that around finally, my Great Pyr has had a large hand in that, by keeping the bobcats and coyotes at bay.
matt walker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest