[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - New addition to the farm today!

New addition to the farm today!

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: New addition to the farm today!

Postby SilverFlame819 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Oh, no! :( Does she wear any ID? Got a chip in her, in case someone turns her into AC? I'd call the local AC to see if they've picked her up. She might be waiting in doggie jail for you, and in some places, the AC only has to hold for 2-3 days for a claimant before they euthanize... You could at least file a report with them to let them know what you're looking for, in case she turns up.

It isn't totally strange to think that he got the ram, since rams will often times try to defend the flock. If the ram turned on the cat to charge him, he was the first in line for dinner. :(

I'm sorry about the ram, but I know you'll have a replacement for him from this year's lambs... I'm more concerned about where Pearl has gotten to. I know you would have to equip the place like Fort Knox to keep her contained, so not much you can do there... But weird that she'd be so scared that she'd abandon the flock and you. Have you put up some lost dog signs?? Not that you're right in town, but at least the locals would have an idea that your girl is missing, so she'd be less likely to get shot, and more likely to be returned. :( :( :(

I'd say drive the highway and call her, but not sure you really want to head her down the mountain toward traffic. :(
SilverFlame819

Postby SilverFlame819 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Also, Miz Choco eats the mice she leaves for you?? Every cat I've ever had brought me freshly-dead mice (intact) as presents... So you THINK she's being nice and leaving you presents, but sounds like she's really just leaving you her dirty dishes! Foolish human, she's got you trained. :lol:
SilverFlame819

Postby matt walker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Pearl is regularly gone for 3 or 4 days at a time, I can't control it and I stopped worrying about it a long time ago. Don't worry about her, she'll be back, I just hope it's before the cougar attacks again. It looks like I have a few days though, the cougar ate most of the ram so I bet it will take a few days off. Now the pasture is littered with juvenile bald eagles, stalking the lambs and snacking on the ram leftovers. Great.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Dang! Sorry to hear about that!

Cougar's have a pretty big range so it may have been just a fill up for it and off on the prowl again. It might not come back. They also have a knack for picking out weak animals, so maybe it knew something about the ram that you didn't.....

I've heard that the Pyrs like to roam, that's how they spread their scent and keep intruders away... it's pretty common. Not sure if anyone out there gets the "On-Pasture" web mag, but they just had a good story on them... lemme see if I can find it. ... somewhere on this site. Aw heck, it's all stuff you probably already know anyway.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Oh My Goodness, Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY. We don't have Mountain Lions or Cougars or any large cats here in Pa. Bob cats are making a come back, they are the largest we could see around here, mostly up in the Northern Tier, and they are now common enough to have a season on them. They have a drawing and if you are lucky enough to get a License in the lottery you are allowed to trap one. There is nothing here that has the killing potential of a Cougar, I would find that a little un-nerving to say the least. :o
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Well, maybe this will brighten your day, Matt. Here's the latest orphan around my place. Meet Stanley:

The little bugger is a real ladies man. I have a feeling he's going to be around here for a long, long time.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:13 pm

What the heck Manny? Is that a goat? Now you've done it.

Fish and Wildlife officer just left, they are going to bring out a dog pack in the morning. Found some clear tracks, it looks like it's a BIG cat. I've known they are around, and have seen them a couple times, but man, it ate almost a whole ram in one sitting. Sorta makes me think about all the moonlight solo walks I take up on the hillside.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:16 pm

Man that's scary. I've seen the tracks, and know one was around once, but never any real encounters like that. Jeez!
mannytheseacow

Postby GrahamB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:46 am

Sorry to hear about the ram Matt. I'm with Manny though and it being a transient. Missouri Dept of Confusion finally admitted we have cougars in the state after years of denying they were here. They have done some DNA tests on a few corpses and apparently we have transient males coming from Colorado and going as far as Illinois. The females tend to stay on their home patch but the young male take to wandering. Let's hope yours is a male.
I was in a treestand a few years ago and one went past at about thirty yards. It freaked me out and the wood went silent for about thirty minutes. Not a bird squeak.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby matt walker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:07 pm

I also hope it's transient. This is just a great spot for them though, my place backs up to state forest, which runs into National Forest, then the Park. I'm on the Northern edge, so South of me for the next 100 miles is all pretty much untouched forest, mountains, and wilderness. Lots of places for critters to call home. Here's a google maps shot, my place is at the northern border of the wild areas in this shot.

matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest