Infrastructure Requirements for Paddock Shift Chickens

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Infrastructure Requirements for Paddock Shift Chickens

Postby George Collins » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:03 am

I'm in the market for an electrified poultry fence to create a paddock-shift system. Does anyone here have any experience with such and if so what recommendations would you make to one just gettin started with such a system?

The primary goal for such a system would be directed fertility and insect control. Secondary consideration would be egg production.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Infrastructure Requirements for Paddock Shift Chickens

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:16 am

I don't have any experience with electrified poultry netting, but I do know chickens and fencing. If your goal is to keep predators from getting at the chickens, I would imagine that aside from raptors, it will work great. If, on the other hand, your goal is to contain the birds, I'm skeptical. It will only shock them if the contact a hot and a ground, and for a chicken that seems unlikely, even though the netting usually has alternating hot/ground strands.

If I were trying to contain the birds, I'd just go with regular poultry/deer netting, which comes in really tall sizes. I have a variety of chickens, and it's amazing to me that every last one of them can fly up to roost in the 12' + rafters in the barn. If you look closely at what is listed as "electrified poultry netting" on the fencing supply sites, you'll see that it's really intended for sheep and the like, so it typically is less than 4' tall. That said, I really want some of that electrified netting for my sheep rotation program.
matt walker
Site Admin

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest