[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - wacky grafting ideas for 2012

wacky grafting ideas for 2012

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: wacky grafting ideas for 2012

Postby eeldip » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:16 pm

eeldip

Postby matt walker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Solanum Y Solanum.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:13 am

Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Yes I agree, wait until the sap is running full. Maybe bud swell or just after, You want the post to have sap in it to push leaves and stems. They will push roots. Or maybe visa versa, but you get the idea, the thing has to be alive, not dormant.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:47 am

Okay, I'll keep my eyes on them. I'm getting pretty excited about making some headway on this this year. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Eeldip, do you have a source for the Lychee Tomatoes? I'd like to try some in my border areas this spring.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby lonv166 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:09 pm

I just posted on another thread that I cut some tree limbs for a fence and now I have trees. Didn't know that could happen in the states! I am also interested in the grafting of tomatoes. We have a problem here, the only tomatoes that grow consistently are extremely similar to Roma tomatoes, but without the taste. In fact, there is virtually no taste.
I am also interested in those seeds. While I am across the world, I have an address in the states that will send on those seeds to me. I would be very happy to try them here and send back the results!
lonv166

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 pm

I found this link on another site. It shows living walls and several living grafted dome houses. I thought this guy has done some pretty amazing things.

http://www.treedome.com/mail.htm

OOPPS I just saw that this site was listed as a link on one of the other posts here, Sorry, :oops:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:06 am

This reminds me of the Dwarf Tomato Project I stumbled across last year. Here is their website: http://www.dwarftomatoproject.net/
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:28 pm

I did some wacky grafting a few years back when I worked in a greenhouse. I haven't messed with the idea since, though. My biggest accomplishment was grafting four different species of cacti to a candelabra euphorbia (still a succulent, but evolved on a completely different continent). As for the lychee tomato base, I'd try radiator charlies mortgage lifter. It's the thickest stemmed tomato variety I've tried. Really tasty, too, and prolific harvests due to the size. It is a mid-to later ripener, though, so you would have that challenge.

As for what seeds you'll get from grafting (I read this thread back towards the beginning), the genetic material is in the apical meristem (bud shoot) so no matter what you are grafting on the seeds genetics will come from whatever you are grafting on to the base, regardless of what you're actually grafting to.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest