[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Keeping Berkshire Pigs

Keeping Berkshire Pigs

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Keeping Berkshire Pigs

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu May 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for your help, George. I'm going to kinda reference two threads at the same time here, so my apologies in advance...
I just picked up these two girls last weekend:

I'm known to be about the most efficient (ahem, read: stingy) guy around these parts, so it drives me crazy feeding grains from the feed store, but like you say in another post... if that's what's needed, so be it. The girls came from a confinement building where they were eating corn/soymeal blend. They're about 100 pounds each right now, and I've been feeding them 2 # a day each of soy/cracked corn/oats blended equally which comes out to about 14% protein- right about the recommended level. But, they're on pasture too, where I've got legumes, rye, and oats pretty thick. Like you, I'll definitely throw something in behind them to seed, and plan to feed fruits and squashes...

Anyway, what troubles me about their feed is that I see what comes out they're back end looks a lot like what goes in the front end, they pretty much don't digest much of the corn at all, and, well, like I said, I'm stingy so that really bothers me. Not to mention, a lot of their feed ends up on the ground. I really like the idea of that trough that Youngblood casts out of concrete, but I see them little girls just pushing their food and water out onto the ground again. I started with one of these:Image
Seems like it works ok but it's too big for them to get their head in at this size unless I tip it on its side, and the little Tamworth just gets in it and lays down and eats; won't let the Berkie in. So I added an old tray for Berkie to eat out of:
Like wise, a lot of this ends up on the ground. My quick answer is putting some birds in there to clean up the ground but I'd like to just be more efficient all in all. I think I might make some mini- v-bottomed troughs for them, one for each one, and mount them to their little A-frame shelter so they can't knock them around too much.

As for water, the reason I asked is because I bought one of those Trojan auto watering devices and mounted it to an old plastic barrel:
Trojan makes two kinds, one that attaches to a hose, like from a faucet, and one that is gravity feed. I ordered the gravity feed one. Trouble is, it dribbles water out so slow... I think maybe they sent me the wrong one, but I'm afraid I can't send it back because I already got the adhesive all over it where it goes onto the barrel. (I didn't get adhesive in the line, I already checked that). SO, long story short, I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with these gravity waterers, maybe this thing is working right and I'm just paranoid. Just want my girls to be fat and happy! Otherwise, I really like the barrel idea. All my rain water goes into big horse tanks, so I can just fill the pig's water up from the rain tank.

As for the feed, I'm gonna check out that book that George recommends in his other post. Hopefully they got it down at the library.

EDIT: I don't know why those last three pictures are showing up sideways??? Hope you get the idea.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby George Collins » Fri May 03, 2013 1:09 am

I also have one of these but it's not in use at the moment.

Be aware that these nipple waterers have adjustable settings. (To adjust, remove the filter at the rear and dial the flow adjustment washer to the appropriate setting.)

"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby Jasper County Native » Sun May 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Hey George,

Do you remember the incident with Maxine and the goat?
Come on down good rain!! - My pa paw
Jasper County Native

Location: Edge of the Flatwoods and the North Central Hills of Mississippi. RuB2 Ruston fine sandy loam

Postby George Collins » Sun May 05, 2013 2:36 pm

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm

BARRY WHITE DOMINOED!!!!

PIGLETS EN ROUTE!!!

Went out to feed this morning and all signs pointed to Mr. Barry White having spent the night wallowing in piggy pleasure as he turned my sweet little virginal gilts into all-grown-up, worldly women.

Then Lou tried to horn in on his feed and he whipped her ass . . . again . . .

Details of the Soap Opera over, August 29th +/- 2 days should see (hopefully) somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 new additions scurrying about our farm.

George Collins

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue May 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Great news, George! :D
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby GrahamB » Thu May 09, 2013 1:34 am

I have visions of Barry lying in the wallow with a confident smile, with a cigarette perched in his hoof. But then in August he'll be passing the cigars around the sty... I really must get out more... :|
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby Lollykoko » Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 am

In spring a young woman's fancy turns to thoughts ... ;) I'm glad that nature took the turn that was intended.
Lollykoko

Postby George Collins » Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 pm

A few days ago, the uncle that taught me how to plant black walnuts came in for a visit. Being my father's only sibling, he inherited half of my grandmother's estate. Youngblood's land is on one side of the road and my uncle's is on the other. On my uncles land is an old hay field that was planted in pecans about forty years ago by which is now overgrown with mostly pine trees and privet.

I saw the opportunity for a mutually beneficial partnership: if he would let me rotate my hogs through his pasture, the hogs and I would clean up around his pecan trees and prevent his field from becoming even more overgrown.

He agreed and yesterday, Linda and Lou were moved to a new home.

Here is Linda in her new home:

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Sat May 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Man, George, that is one happy pig! Well, two happy pigs, I imagine. A happy pig is a delicious pig, in my opinion!
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest