[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Keeping Berkshire Pigs

Keeping Berkshire Pigs

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Keeping Berkshire Pigs

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks for the up date. I knew that the Boar was going to be younger but I thought you had bought him already. So Linda and Lou are going to be playing with a younger man, Cool, I didn't know that they were cougers, ;) :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:03 pm

Door open:

Door closed:

In preparation for returning to Mitchell Family Farms to obtain my Berky Boar to go along with the Berky Babes, (and because its been raining for the past couple days), I built a Berky jail. I used the plans from here:

Because almost all materials were scraps from earlier building projects that did cost money, the total cost of this project was a tad over $10.00. The boards used were sometimes 2x8s or 2x6s instead of the recommended 1x6s, the weight of this thing is considerable. To move it, a dolly or 2+ strong backs are required.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:51 pm

It looks adequate for getting the job done, George. Is it just resting on the wheeled dolly or attached?
Lollykoko

Postby George Collins » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 pm

It's just resting there. Too dang heavy to tote around.

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Right now, Youngblood and I (along with three anxious kids) are headed back to Rayville, LA to purchase the Berky Boar. My wife named him this morning before our departure. She decided he should be called Mr. Bingly after the character out of Jane Austin's, Pride and Prejudice. Up till now I've been referring to him as Berky Boy.

Pics will be forthcoming.

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Can't wait to see him George. Congrats on the growing 'stead.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 am

Thank you, sir!

Here tis!

Here is a picture of Mr. Bingley's sire:

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Right on! Welcome home Mr. Bingley. He looks like he's gonna fit right in there. On a side note, I can't believe y'all are running around barefoot in shorts in February. That's just not fair.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:17 am

You're right, Matt. It isn't fair at all! But come August, I will be enjoying a cool breeze in the woods and thinking of George and family finding ways to keep cool.
Lollykoko

Postby George Collins » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:43 am

Y'all need not wait till August to enjoy the relative merits of your weather. You can enjoy them now knowing that I have a couple trees that have already budded out and we have temperatures forecast for this coming weekend in the mid-20s.

Secondly, I now have proof that Mr. Bingley is:
1. A go-down pig of the first order, AND
2. He's also a go-in pig.

Granted, he needs a bit of practice.

George Collins

PreviousNext

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest