[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Keeping Berkshire Pigs

Keeping Berkshire Pigs

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Keeping Berkshire Pigs

Postby matt walker » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:01 pm

That is an amazing return George, congratulations. I was never able to get my final costs down to much less than $6lb, which is one reason I'm taking a break from raising hogs. Either you got a great deal on feed, or you were really successful at feeding the majority of their diet from your place. Either way, great job man.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:48 am

Retail, 14% protein starter/grower in our part of the world goes for $25/100 lbs. The feed conversion ratio for a hog is generally given as 3:1. The hog weighed about 80 lbs when I bought him. I put about 220 lbs on him which translates into 660 lbs of feed.

Rounded up, 700 lbs of feed at $25/100 is $175.

I was actually able to beat this price considerably by using a 15% blend of two feeds sold at two different co-ops (one sells a 20% feed and the other an 11% feed. I mix them in equal portions and err on the low side of the protein estimate). Additionally, I do make use of tree crops so my $200 feed cost estimate is very generous on the high side.

How much y'all paying for feed out your way?
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby matt walker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:52 am

I just looked at my notes George, keep in mind this is two summers ago, so probably more now. Same style feed, 14%, from the local feed store, $40/100lb. I ended up having most of my feed trucked in in conjunction with my friend who was organizing it. It was all organic, and really nice stuff. I don't think I really paid attention much, but looking at my notes here, I was paying $75/100lbs. Yikes. No wonder I thought it was so expensive. Still, best case around here was almost twice what you are paying.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:29 am

George Collins

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:32 am

That's a good ratio there, George. I'm looking to butcher about October 12 if the nights cool off. Up here I'm mixing my own feed- all grown on local farms. I'm paying $65.68 for 250#. That's 100# oats, 100# corn, and 50# soy meal. I'm saving all my receipts and plan on doing the math when it's all done. I've been feeding heavy on apples, acorns, and squash. We'll see where it pans out. A deer costs me $25 for the hunting license and $1 for the shell. All natural, free range. Gawd, there's just something about pork though, you know it?
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby George Collins » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:36 pm

WEANED!

So, Linda threw 12 piglets and weaned 10 on her first litter. From what I gather, this means she is an exceptional momma.

So far, the pigs don't seem to stressed by the lack of their meternal influence. According to Kelly Klobber in Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs, the proper way to wean is to move the sow and leave the pigs where they've always been. Being a newb, I followed his advice and put Linda into a hog-panel pen well away from her pigs.

Also, according to Mr. Klobber, Linda is expected to come into estrus in about a week from now. Since that would produce a litter in early February, I won't her isolated in a VERY strong pen to delay her next farrowing until at least March and preferably April. Since Lou is theoretically due in mid-November, holding Linda off until January will put both sows back in sync for that preferred April-ish farrowing.

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Right on George. I am really enjoying following your progress on this. Your forethought and careful reasoned approach is very valuable to me as a learning tool. It reinforces stuff I've read but haven't always been very diligent at putting into practice, and not specifically with hogs. I have talked about my friend who has a small hog operation, he is definitely getting overwhelmed, largely because of a lack of such a careful approach. That's not something I judge him harshly for, it's for sure far easier to end up in that position than it is to do what you are doing, and I've let the sheep get away from me at times as well. Anyway, thanks for the updates and congrats on the successful weaning.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:57 pm

I made my first ever sale of Berkshire pigs today. A friend wants to get into raising Berkshires so I was able to move two of my gilts. We were all sad to see them go but are happy that they will go to a farm where they stand a really good chance of living long, happy lives. The money generated from the sale will go a long way towards paying for the feed to get the others to market weight.

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 am

Linda has been moved into the maternity ward. Her earliest possible due date is the 15th.

George Collins

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Good luck, George! How are those other young'ins doin? They must be getting big.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

PreviousNext

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest