[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Visiting Polyface Farm and Gathering American Chestnuts

Visiting Polyface Farm and Gathering American Chestnuts

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Visiting Polyface Farm and Gathering American Chestnuts

Postby George Collins » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:01 am

Just tasted tested rib steaks from one of Joel Salatin's salad bar beeves v. Rib steaks from one of Youngblood's grain fed steers. Younblood's are the two little ones on the left side of the platter. The only difference in the quality of the respective contestants other than size was the fat from the grain fed beef was much whiter.

First, I hate rib steak. The only reason I got it was because it was right next to the rib eye steaks in Salatin's freezer and my senses were overwhelmed from the novelty if it all. 

Salatin says that grass fed beef serves up better slow cooked. 

I don't know how to slow cook a steak. 

I decided, "I don't care how Salatin says his steak ought to be cooked. Iffn I can't burnasteak while sippinonacoolone, what good are they?  Nope, Mr. Salatin's steak will be baptized by the fire of my grill."

This is the recipe that took my steaks from "damn" to DAMN!  

The steaks were thawed and prepped identically. The only difference in the cooking was Salatin's stuff was left on the grill a smidge longer to accommodate for their greater thickness. 

Once done resting the meat, I dove straight into Salatin's meat and was like, "DAMN!"

Then I ate some of Youngblood's and was like, "damn."

The one caveat here is that the rib steaks from Youngblood's stuff usually get eaten last which and are therefore proly considerably past their prime. When Youngblood takes his next beef to the processor on Nov. 8th, I'm going to make it a point to eat a rib steak ASAP to get an idea of what fresh, grain fed rib steaks taste like. 

Until then the jury is still out on which will taste better. The one charge upon which the jury can render a verdict though is that Salatin is capable of rearing a beef on forage of sufficient quality to produce a "DAMN!" quality steak. 
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest