[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Visiting Polyface Farm and Gathering American Chestnuts

Visiting Polyface Farm and Gathering American Chestnuts

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Visiting Polyface Farm and Gathering American Chestnuts

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for the tip, George. Now I'll know to keep any new nut trees I plant somewhat distant from the walnut forest I've already got. They don't seem to be bothering the oaks and hickory that are already there, but those trees aren't interspersed so much as adjacent, I guess.
Lollykoko

Postby George Collins » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:30 am

Just performed a taste test comparing Joel Salatin's grass fed ("Salad Bar") beef to Youngblood's grain fed beef.  My mother ate with us and we all agreed before we took the first bite, to be brutally honest. I desperately wanted the Salatin burger to taste much better.  Not to one-up Youngblood but rather because of the economics.  The consensus among the wife, Momma and myself was that if we let Youngblood's beef represent a 10, Salatin's beef was a 9 and the stuff you get in the grocery store is a 2. 

If these results hold consistent, it means Youngblood is paying a mountain of money (and funding all the ills associated with grain production) for a marginal increase in taste. If money is no object and taste is the only consideration, grain fed beef seems to be the way to go. I would like to perform another taste test pitting two of Youngblood's beeves against each other with one left on grass until switched to grain 2 weeks before slaighter versus how he normally does it (120 days). My hypothesis is that those two would achieve parity.

The next side-by-side taste test will pit a pork roast of a hog I raised with one bought from Salatin. 
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby George Collins » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 am

This is a picture of Joel Salatin's pigs with their water and feed troughs.

Does anyone know what type of water trough that is? I might be interested in purchasing one if the brand can be determined.

Since we're talking about such things, might anyone know precisely what type of feeding system he uses (just in case I may one day want one)?

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Here's the waterer George, or one close to it anyway....

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/pr ... 06142.html

That feeder looks home made/locally made to me. Neat design, those little flaps probably do a good job of keeping the hogs from running all over the feed and spreading it everywhere, not to mention messing it up with poop and stuff. Cool.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:22 am

I found several sources for that watering system. Here is one of them:

The wife is at a sales meeting, the older kids are in ballet and the younger ones are playing in a park so I have some time to post some of the Polyface pictures I've been meaning to for several days now. The first set of pictures is of Mr. Salatin's pig farming operation from what I believe is his his three basic divisions:

They appear to start here:

They appear to spend most of their lives here:

And finish here:

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 am

Where the cows had been:

Where the cows were the day of our visit:

The edge of the paddock which contained the cows justaposed with the edge of the paddock to which they were destined to inhabit next:

The watering system (notice that trough is half in - half out of the pen):

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:50 am

Egg Mobile from a distance.

Egg Mobile up close.

Inside views showing feeder and laying boxes.
[img]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/geoanmel/D213EB87-4D3E-4152-A77B-6C81E138033D-4155-0000064D17BA168E.jpg[img]

Close-up of watering system:
Last edited by George Collins on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 am

I really love these little chicken houses.

Close up of watering system (which appears to double as a weight to hold the top of the cage in place):

And lastly, one full of food:

And he has quite a few of these little money makers:

George Collins

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:25 am

Great photos, George. Are those smaller chicken houses designed to be moved? I've been thinking of something similar to them for raising quail, or making an attempt anyway.

The big chicken house was an eye opener. :o My BIL and sister worked a chicken farm for Tyson 25 years ago. They have been telling me to use the old trailer I have for a portable chicken house. I hadn't seriously considered it, but might change my mind. Assuming I ever get to live on site so I can have animals, that is!

When we went to the bookstore on Saturday "Folks, This Ain't Normal" was out of stock. I wound up with "Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal" instead. I'm sure it will provide several meals out worth of enjoyment (I take a book, always) and might start a few conversations because of the provocative title. :D
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:06 pm

The low hen houses are raising meat for the table I am guessing. Lolly has a good question, I wondered the same thing. Because the grass is fairly high inside the low pens I would say that are moved often. I did not see a hitch, but I would guess dragged by a tractor every few days or so. Can you tell us more about how he works the pastures?
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

PreviousNext

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest