What are you guys planning for you 2012 Garden?

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: What are you guys planning for you 2012 Garden?

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:16 pm

No, I can't really use it, it will be a path between beds. I am being pushed into planting strawberrys in the next row. I tried that many years ago and they did poorly for me. I mean really poorly. Alot of work, alot of weeding on my knees and few if any berrys. I suffered along with them for several years and then mowed them over and didn't look back. But now I am being pushed into trying them again. I know more now, maybe I can do a better job with them this time. If not there is always the mower, :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 am

Guy, will the new strawberry patch be in a different location than last time? Different variety? June, ever-bearing or both?

I'm getting itchy fingers. We spread some wildflower seeds on Sunday, but that is all so far. Monday night the temperature dropped to 32F, and I was sleeping in the pop-up. :roll: Perhaps next week will be safe.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Around here the 3rd week in April is the normal frost free line. Befor that iffy, after that " Normally " safe. Not always, but normally safe after April 21. So check your seeds germination time and if you want to push the limit but be a little bit safe work backwards from 4-21 .
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:01 pm

I've decided to make a 2 day trip with my aunt next week, so planting may begin after I return. Root crops are supposed to be good to go on the 7th and I have plenty of them to put in the ground. I have about 10 pounds of various potatoes, and three pounds of onion sets (in three different colors) that I didn't get in the ground before the new moon last week.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:19 pm

I planted my potatos, red and white, and 3 lb of onions white, red and yellow maybe a week and 1/2 ago. They are starting up, I am not too worried about frost for them. You will be fine planting them any time now. Getting the time to be at the farm will be your main problem. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

You are right on finding time being the biggest problem. Next week is "Spring Break" so my roommate and her son will be going to spend time with her boyfriend and his family. The cats really need someone to kick down some food to fill in the hole in the week-long food dish, fresh water and scoop the litter every day. Round trip is 80 miles. Hmmmmn. Maybe I can get my oldest son to make a 6 mile round trip to do that for me, and pick up the mail while he's here.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:17 am

Today I started the power pick up again. It only took 5 pulls and 4 shots of starter fluid to get her running. Oh I know I know that using starter fluid too much will shorten the life of an engine, but the 8HP air cooled Briggs and Straton engin is already over 20 years old. How much less do you think I will get out of this machine, or maybe a better question, how much more, lol So I ran it up to the garden and tilled the right area for the new Gooseberrys. It was much easier than I expected it to be. Them I sifted 2 loads of sub soil into the garden and 1 load of rocks out. It started to rain, so I went in and took a shower. The rest of the day was a blow off day, I simply enjoyed myself. Isn't that what life is all about? Sometimes we forget that fact. Enjoy.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:29 pm

The GooseBerrys finally came today, Planted them in the holes that I had dug and watered them in good. They look like dead sticks right now, one is showing some green, the other 2 show nothing. I also planted my asperigus today. 20 plants in 2 rows, I hope they grow, they also looked pretty dry to me. I also got a bunch of flowers on Freecycle today, so I planted them up in the Butterfly Garden and saved some for my sons new home in WVa. Sifted some rocks and sub soil and added some mulch to the mix, the new section of the garden is coming along. I am doing it the same way I did the Hugalculture experiment next to this section. So I will not Bore you with any more pictures of how many rocks I am sifting out. :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:53 pm

One gooseberry has leafed out, the other 2 are still dormant and look a bit peeked. The snow yesterday was bad, schools were closed for fear of power outages. !0,000 people were with out power here yesterday. I lost alot of large limbs from the mature Maple trees around the house as well as 1/2 of the maple tree behind the shed. It hit the corner of the shed but didn't do much damage. The clean up will take some time and will be a pain in the Dupa. I will get some firewood however and have enough brush for several nice Bon Fires. The asperigus is still standing up straight and tall, 14 out of 20 are up, I re- planted the other ones last week. They are not up yet. I covered the lettus and spinich with blankets befor the snow. I do not know yet if they will be damaged or not. I will uncover them tommorrow, the cold snap should be over by then. This heavy wet snow in late April was sure a curve ball for us to handle. Alot of damage from this one.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby matt walker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Wow, that sounds pretty rough Guy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your garden. On the upside, there's always sledding!
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest