Belted Galloway Steers

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Belted Galloway Steers

Postby Lollykoko » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 pm

That fork modification sounds like a good idea, Graham. I'm visualizing the times bent to resemble a rake. Is that what you meant?

The day that we picked up our steers at the packing house I noticed that they carried a good assortment of organ meats available for retail sale. I didn't notice kidneys (and don't remember ever getting a pack of kidneys with my beef) but a phone call could probably let you know if they are ever available. Cow heel? Never heard of that particular cut, but assume it is a bony piece like the oxtail. I love using beef heart for a pot of noodles or stew. It's probably been 50 years since I've had tongue or brains.

Thing to think about when I'm raising my own meat animals, eh?
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:21 pm

I have not eaten beef heart in a long time. My Mom used to make it on occasion. I can not say that it was my favorite, lol. A friend of mine had a fellow that pickled deer heart. She said that it was Yummy, ;) Unfortunately I do not have the recipe. :?
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby GrahamB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:33 am

Yes Lolly, just like a rake. Cow heel was basically cows foot. I was not a fan of it as it took a lot of knife and fork work to get anything off it. The reason I can't get kidneys, or so I've been told is that over here they are regarded as processors of waste and supposedly not clean to eat. Tell that to an Englishman and he will regard it as an affront to his heritage and go off mumbling about 'those B*&^%y colonists'. :D
Guy I had forgotten about heart and I have to say it wasn't my favorite. If I can't have steak and kidney pie, then a plate of liver and onions with a big pile of mashed potato and garden peas would be my next choice. We ate all this growing up as kids that we never thought of it as anything more than just another hot meal.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:43 am

I takes A LOT of onions for me to eat Liver, :lol: I have eaten it, but as you say, its Not my favorite. But with peas and mashed potatoes I certainly would not starve, ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest