[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Tree Pruning Question

Tree Pruning Question

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Tree Pruning Question

Postby George Collins » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm

How would/should this tree be pruned if at all?
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Tree Pruning Question

Postby matt walker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 pm

George, I'm not very experienced, but I'll give you my opinion anyway. I would do nothing this year and let the tree use all of that foliar area next summer to build roots next fall. Then, the following mid winter I would prune based on what shape I was going for, open center, main leader, etc.
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Tree Pruning Question

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 pm

I have been off line for awhile now, our computer fried and we just got a new one working, more or less. I think Matt has a good idea there George, let it go at least until spring if not another full year. I do not know why the one branch has not gone dormant, but it seems to be fairly vigorous, why not let it go awhile and see what happens. Strictly from an appearance point of view the side branch should go, along with the 2 lowest branches on the main stem. But since a pretty fruit tree is not a good producing fruit tree you may want to see which stem has the most vigor next spring and prune according to that. Some of my old fruit trees are very misshapen and I still get fruit from them. I have to admit that my pruning efforts these days are geared more toward the ease of mowing , and not geared toward maximum fruit production. Fruit trees are very resilient once the roots are established so giving the tree an extra year to make sure it has established a viable root system is not a bad idea. I know you are chomping at the bit to start pruning, because somebody told you that pruning increases yields, and you want the maximum yield as soon as possible. That tree will not produce any fruit for a couple more years, don't worry, you have plenty of time to cut the heck out of it later. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest