[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Spring Tree Order

Spring Tree Order

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Spring Tree Order

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:59 pm

I thought I was being very energetic by ordering 15 trees to plant this spring, :lol: I feel like a Piker now, ;) Congratulations on getting so many trees added to your respective landscapes. Like George says, you will see many years of growth and improvements from this one day of hard work. Little things like this one day of work start to add up over time to equal Huge differences in your surroundings . I hope all of the trees you guys planted grow well for you. Even though you skimped a bit on the digging Matt, you can most likely make up for that with Water, :D . Keep them mulched and keep them moist and you may not see any problems from your planting methods, :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:40 pm

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby dave brenneman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:34 am

dave brenneman

Postby matt walker » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks Dave, I'm feeling pretty good about it, although I'm having second thoughts on some of the pasture plantings. Seems like it's only a matter of time before a sheep gets to them.

I received and planted two Warren pears on Thursday.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:30 pm

I'm joining this discussion pretty late... Here in N. Illinois we don't plant too many trees until mid-april. I put in some apples last year. This year I'm planting some wine grapes, hazelnuts and pecans. Over the years I've planting quite a few trees on my little parcel, and harvested quite a few, too, for lumber and to set up a solar panel array.

As I was reading through the threads on here a couple of things came to mind. I'm not sure if y'all know about black walnuts, but be careful where you plant them, because nothing will grow around them. There's a compound in black walnuts that helps it take over an area. Don't plant them anywhere near your garden!

Guy: pecans should yield pretty far to the north and you shouldn't have any problems with them in your area. If you're skeptical or have the option try a variety from the University of Minn., they breed some pretty cold-tolerant stuff up there!

Also, I don't know how this works around the planet, but here locally and in the surrounding states we have "Soil and Water Conservation Districts" that sell trees in the spring. They're usually bare root trees sold in bundles of 25. That's a lot of trees, but the prices are super cheap. In my experience, the smaller the tree the faster it recovers from transplant shock, so you have that advantage, too. Also, planting these bare-root trees is as simple as putting a spade in the ground and making a crack, as someone already pointed out.

Oaks make great hog food, too. I don't raise any livestock, I pretty much just eat what I hunt, but I know some hog farmers that raise high end breeds for the culinary industry that are getting $25 a pound for their pork that they fatten up on squash and acorns before slaughter. My old-growth oaks are worth more to me for the acorns they drop than their lumber would ever be just because of what these guys will pay for the acorns. Makes for some damn tasty pork, too!

Another favorite tree of mine is hackberry. It drops a lot of small purple berries. In December when I'm turkey hunting I always find the turkeys around the hackberries and every bird I dress will have a crop full of these berries. It makes for some pretty lumber, too. Sort of like a hickory with the contrasting light and dark coloration. Burns hot, too, though it's hard to split like elm, bindey.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Myrth » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:53 am

Hackberry is a splendid hardwood. Some of Illinois' largest old trees are hackberries. You will find them planted around many old farmhouses. Birds love them (including chickens). They withstand storms. They provide great shade. The firewood is top notch. They even make excellent flutes - I have a Native American style flute made from hackberry, and I treasure it.
Myrth

Postby matt walker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks for the input. I struggled with the location of the hardwoods and nuts because I had read so much conflicting information about many of the trees and how the can or cannot fit into a working pasture. I just went ahead and planted in where I thought they had the best chance of surviving. We'll see. It's great to hear from you Manny regarding having harvested trees you planted. I hope to do the same in a few decades, and is one of the reasons I planted so many hardwoods.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest