Collins Kids' Black Walnut Grove - Round #2

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Collins Kids' Black Walnut Grove - Round #2

Postby George Collins » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:38 pm

We planted about 200 germinated, and in many cases sprouted, black walnut seeds today.

While we are getting a later start this year, our weather patterns so far are vastly different from the unseasonably warm winter we had last year. The last frost of 2012 was January 31st. This year, our last frost was on March 27th. So relative to our last frost date, our walnut planting is much further along.

For this year's planting, we are replacing the massive losses we experienced during the two-month long drought in May and June of 2012. If successful, the field will hold about 1,000 trees. Figuring we had perhaps 200 survive, we will only need to nurse 800ish through any droughts we have this year.

Here's praying for good rainfall this year.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Collins Kids' Black Walnut Grove - Round #2

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 pm

It sounds like you are off to a good start, George.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Your dedication is inspiring George, it does sound like a great start. Here's hoping for some consistent rain for you this summer.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 am

I'm also hoping to pot up a bunch for transplanting next winter. The idea being to have some on hand that will allow me to fill in the gaps with a higher percentage play with an eye towards keeping the age of the trees in the grove as uniform as possible.

Also, might anyone know the technique(s) used by nurseries to mass produce year-old bare root seedlings?

George Collins

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:15 pm

I too hope for good rain fall this year. You suffered a lot of losses last year, but you are that much further along this year. A journey of a Thousand miles starts with a single step. You have make made a great first step in making your kids food forest. Keep up the good work. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Yesterday, we planted about 150 more bringing the total number of sets up to ~600. As we started planting, we noticed a greater-than-expected number of sprouts that had sprung up from last years planting. These sprouts may actually prove to have an advantage over what we plant this year since they have proven (from those few we accidentally dug up) to have fairly well developed root systems and proven their ability to survive the harshest possible conditions.

Being more experienced this year than last, I did a much better job of timing the nuts stratified in the fridge to germinate in time with those put in pots outside. The down side to that is that instead of having 10-100 nuts to plant every few days, we have 100-200 nuts to plant every few days.

After that first day of planting when we put about 200 in the ground, my left leg (which is the one I use to arise from the knelt position) was so sore I could barely walk. Fortunately that seems to be behind me now as there are no apparent detrimental effects from yesterday but for the generalized feeling of extreme physical activity.

Whoever said gardening provided "moderate physical activity" ain't never did our way.

George Collins

Postby Lollykoko » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:19 pm

George, how many walnuts are you hoping to get planted this year? Will you be making a new thread for the chestnut trees?
Lollykoko

Postby George Collins » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:59 am

Today we put another 200-300 (probably much closer to 200) in the ground. This weekend marks my personal record for number of trees planted in such a short period of time.

Lolly, I do have a separate thread started about the chestnuts. Concerning the walnuts, the goal for this year's planting is to replace the massive losses we suffered last year. Last year we made 950 sets with losses that I guess to be in the 80% range.

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:40 pm

A couple hundred more planted today and the end is in sight.

A quick check on those we planted first revealed they are sprouting nicely.

Now it's up to the weather.

George Collins

Postby boo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:23 pm

I hope you get better weather than we're having George!
boo

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest