David Bradley walk-behind tractor

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

David Bradley walk-behind tractor

Postby Jasper County Native » Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Anyone ever owned/used a David Bradley walk-behind tractor? I have been making our small garden with a Merry Tiller for the past few years and I think the DB would be a welcome addition. What do you think?
Come on down good rain!! - My pa paw
Jasper County Native

Location: Edge of the Flatwoods and the North Central Hills of Mississippi. RuB2 Ruston fine sandy loam

Re: David Bradley walk-behind tractor

Postby George Collins » Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 am

Never heard of one till just now. Did a spot of reading on them and they look and sound really cool. Can you put your hands on one?
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby Jasper County Native » Mon May 06, 2013 11:10 am

I believe I can, but it may need a motor. They used to make all sorts of implements/accessories for them. The disc and harrow would be a big help with my small garden.
Come on down good rain!! - My pa paw
Jasper County Native

Location: Edge of the Flatwoods and the North Central Hills of Mississippi. RuB2 Ruston fine sandy loam

Postby GrahamB » Tue May 07, 2013 1:27 am

I have coveted one of these or a Gravely for a couple of years now. The ones that are still about fetch a good price, so if you can get one, even if the motor is shot, I'd say get it. You could always have the motor rebuilt or even find a modern motor to replace it.
With the growing number of small homesteaders these days, I'm surprised there aren't more of these type of tractors redeveloped and marketed.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 pm

I had never heard of these types of walk behind tractors. Now that I look at them and see that they came from Sears I have seen them at Antique Tractor shows. They are not common around here, Gravely seem to out sell them by a bunch. My neighbor has owned several used Gravels, I think he was able to get them for about $300 to $350 each. Every piece of equipment that Gravely ever made from 1940's until they stopped making then would fit on that 4 bolt system. They claimed that you could mow any where that a man could walk. The 30 inch brush hog attachment was great. They would beat the snot out of you if you were not careful, and they had a reverse that would run you over if you fell. All in All, be careful when you operate that type of equipment.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest