Jerusalem Artichokes

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Jerusalem Artichokes

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Anyone have any experience with Jerusalem artichokes? I just got a big bag of tubers from a friend and haven't really used them before. Should I try to overwinter them in the fridge or go ahead and plant them now for next year?
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Re: Jerusalem Artichokes

Postby Lollykoko » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Manny, why not split them up and try it both ways? Plant some now (assuming it's warm enough there today) and save the rest for mid March ~ May.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:11 pm

I have been wanting to try these Manny but have not tried to plant any as yet. My understanding is that they winter over well in the ground and act like a perennial. When you dig up the tubers you can't get them all, at least some of the roots will stay in the ground to come back next year. At least that is how I understand they work, some one with more experience with them may have better information ;) but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :lol: The one thing I have heard over and over again [ Besides the fact that if you only had one food to plant it should be this one because they produce so much per sq ft ] is that they make you pass gas. This apparently becomes less of a problem once your body adjusts to them, but every one seems to say they tend to make you Fart. :lol: So be prepared, it may be a bit fragrant around the house for awhile. :o
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:04 am

Good advice you two. I split them into 3 piles. 1 pile got planted, 1 pile gets put away to plant next spring, 1 pile is getting eaten. ;)

My friend warned me about the digestion issue, too. Maybe I'll start heating my home on methane! :lol:
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:16 am

That may make a lot of sense, the benevolent dictator of that other permaculture site says that he heats his house with a light bulb and a fart. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:48 am

Well Manny, How do they taste? I figured you have had enough time to try them at this point. So what is the verdict, do you love them, or do you hate them, or is it some where in the middle. :lol: :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:01 pm

They're pretty tasty. I've tried them twice. Once in a hot saute pan with oil and once roasted in the oven. They do cause some abdominal pain. From what I have read there is a portion that is indigestible, so there's no getting used to them, they just physically can't be digested. Nothing terrible. Everything in moderation, right? :lol:

Not so bad that I won't grow them. Pretty good with some Paul Bocuse inspired seasoning.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:11 am

They do great here, I imagine they'll do the same at your place Manny. I use them like I do potatoes, in that I'll spread them around to break in new areas I want to work the following year. They do well against weeds since they are so tall, and then when you dig them in the fall you have a prepped bed.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:59 am

I thought it might be good if we knew what to do with them after we grew them, Here is a soup recipe that sounded good. :D

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-of-J ... hoke-Soup/

Hope you all enjoy.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Tried it last night Guy (poot). Really good (burp). Dang those things are gassy (waft)! :lol:
mannytheseacow

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest