Container Gardening with small spaces

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Container Gardening with small spaces

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:01 pm

That is an interesting fact about the water Graham, I would not have thought about that much. Do you think that the compost tube in the center of the barrel would help to mitigate that problem? The 5 gal bucket idea could have some advantages over the 55 gal barrel, the 1st of which is the availability of the 5 gal bucket. I too have a bunch of them stacked up in the garage, they seem like they should have a good use, so I save them, and save them, and save them. I do use some of them from time to time, but I have yet to find a good use for the majority of the ones I store. The watering system the fellow used with his 5 gal bucket idea seemed like it would work well. The idea of stacking the buckets to increase yields while still using a very small foot print was ingenious. The buckets I have a mainly from the swimming pool chemicals, but they are older, have been cleaned and stored for several years. I doubt that there is any chemical reside left clinging to the buckets. If anyone has information to the contrary about using old chlorine buckets please let me know.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:04 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:18 pm

I guess that was my question Devil, is there a different more dangerous kind of plastic used to make my buckets that could leach out and get into the produce, or after they are used and sit awhile is anything that can leach out already out of them. I really do not know, I was hoping one of our members would have the right answer.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby GrahamB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:38 am

I thought the same about overcrowding Devil. I think if I do it I will drill fewer holes in them. I like the idea of growing herbs in them and have them on the patio so you can snip a bunch off when you need it. Pure permaculture zone 1.
Guy, we both grew up in an era where everything was covered in lead paint, where we rode bikes without a helmet, and we played in the dirt all day. I'm inclined not to worry too much about what the experts tell me is bad for me. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the stuff that leaches out of plastic tends to do so at a certain temperature. I'm more worried about the chemicals they are putting in the food.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest