[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - My Garden 2014

My Garden 2014

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

My Garden 2014

Postby matt walker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Well, it seems crazy, but I was thinking yesterday it's time to get the onions seeds started! I went down to the garden yesterday and believe it or not I've got cabbage, onions, kale, broccoli, miner's lettuce, and various other stuff still down there. I grabbed a half dozen onions that somehow hadn't turned to mush and a big old purble cabbage for dinner, and while doing that I realized it was time to get some early stuff going in the greenhouse. Okay, I guess it's time for potting soil already!
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: My Garden 2014

Postby CelticHeritageFarm » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:56 am

I'm dying over here with 5 inches of snow on the ground. I did order a hothouse. Hopefully next year I can just build one to the specifications I want and need but for this spring, the quick construct I ordered will do the trick. I can't WAIT to get the seeds started!

Kat
CelticHeritageFarm

Postby matt walker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:45 am

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:45 pm

I spent two weeks with sis and bil, and we made good use of that time to plan this year's activities at Lollyland. A pit greenhouse is at the top of the list, so we can put some dwarf citrus right into the ground. New tree plantings were cussed and discussed. :lol: I will start thinking about a garden in a couple of weeks.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:30 am

Sounds like you have a Plan Lolly. Hope things work out for you as the year goes on, I love it when a plan comes together, ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:25 am

My neighbor with the greenhouse is away. He felt North Carolina would be a good place to winter over for awhile this year. He is only able to keep the temperature in the greenhouse about 10* above ambient outside air. That means if it is 32* outside you are OK, but if it gets down to 22* at night he is screwed. It still gives him a head start on the Tomato plants. It also allows him the time to give my spindly tomato plants mouth to root resuscitation and nurse them back to health before I have to plant them outside. It has been a wonderful addition to the Hill, I use it as a community asset. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Frenchy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:32 pm

well we are getting ready to put taters in the ground an have a neighbor who already has seeds started in his lil green house and I am starting seeds with in the week I hope setting up raised beds an tilling rows to break them up for tomatoes and will be planting peas and lettuce onions spinach by end of the month........... my lower garden was once a horse corral for several years year before last when I tilled it dirt was black an tiller went down over 18 inches in the soil problem is it is full of bermuda so each year I clean the roots out as I till also it is lower down the yard an it tends to stay wet longer which is good in a dry year but last year we had so much rain never got into it nearly all year then when I could ended up down in my back an couldn't tend it like needed so we missed out all last year on lower garden so this year I am putting in a few raised beds down there to give me a better edge if another wet year .........
Frenchy

Location: Western Arkansas ~ between I 40 and I 30 in the Ouachita (Washita) mountains

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Frenchy, if your lower garden is dampish, you might want to try a hugelbed or two, using the debris from the hardwoods to create those raised beds you have in mind. There are several threads around here that show what others have done, in case you haven't run across them already.
Lollykoko

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest