Ashes

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Ashes

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:00 pm

Not sure if I should post this here or in the Heating section, but here goes:

Anyone got any advice for disposing of ashes? Sprinkling around the fruit trees is nice but my ash supply goes way beyond that. At some point it's got to not be good for the soil anymore. What else can I do with them?
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Re: Ashes

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:26 pm

I put mine in the garden and till them in the spring. They act like lime. When I was running the wood stove a lot there were a good many, now not so much. I tested my soil last year, the PH was about perfect for garden, about 7, I also use a lot of lime on the garden. I do put in a good many leaves on, so that is fairly acidic. They seem to balance each other out. Until you see a down turn in production I think I would just dump them on and see what happens. If you do indeed get a surplus and it effect the garden growth you can always just dump them on the yard. Grass likes lime.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest