[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Just sealed the deal on a Guernsey milk cow

Just sealed the deal on a Guernsey milk cow

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Just sealed the deal on a Guernsey milk cow

Postby George Collins » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Today I came to a meeting of the minds with a fellow up in Tennessee for a Guernsey milk cow. What's more, she is halter broken and is in her "first milk."

When I originally starting searching for a Guernsey, I had envisioned a barely weaned heifer that we would raise as a family pet. Getting one at that age would give me time to learn about keeping a milk cow while the heifer took time to become a milk cow. Now, I am about to go from having never milked a cow in my life to owning a milk cow "in milk" which is due to arrive shortly after our tax refund.

So, what advice or resources might any of your recommend for a novice such as I?
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Just sealed the deal on a Guernsey milk cow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:29 pm

WOW, That is Great George !!! Fresh milk for the family, extra milk for cheese, fresh cream for your coffee, you can churn your own butter for those fresh baked goods you like so much. My only experience milking cows was when I worked on a farm as a young boy, and Cubby had an electric milker we used for that. We only hand milked a time or two when the eclectic was off. He explained it to me this way, when her teet feels like a wrung out wash rag you are done. Other than that I can't help you much. ;) Getting the milking schedule set up morning and evening at the same time for her is important. When do you want to get up and into the barn in the morning ? The evening milking can be set by that time, pretty much cutting the 24 hour day in half. Cubby started into the barn at about 4 am, and we did the evening milking about 6 pm or so, depending on bringing in the hay etc. He was milking between 20 and 40 cows at the time, so it took awhile to milk. Good luck with your 1st milk cow, we are all excited to hear about your adventures. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:33 pm

That is great news, George! You are well on your way to sufficiency now.

Suggestions? YouTube is my go to source for background information on most everything. I know they have tutorials on milking techniques and cheese making. Your kids will love making butter for the first time. :) By the 50th time, not so much. ;)
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Yeah man, congrats! That's a big one, providing your own dairy. I'm gonna get there someday, in the meantime, I'm excited to see how you fare with her.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby GrahamB » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:13 am

Man I am so jealous. Of all the things I miss about England, it would be the dairy products. The cheddar cheese, clotted cream and salty butter, all made form either Jersey or Guernsey milk. The richness of that milk is second to none, and like Guy I used to spend time in the dairy when I was a kid and drink it while it was still warm. Okay i'm going to stop now before I make myself miserable. Good luck with your cow George and may she bring you gallons of ambrosia.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby SilverFlame819 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:52 am

Dairy cow advice off the top of my head? Don't pull on her teats! I always see novices yanking downward, and it makes me cringe. You grip gently at the base of the udder (top of the teat). Close your thumb to the side of your hand, trapping the milk in the teat. Then slowly close your hand into a flat-fingered fist, going downward. Index, middle, ring, pinky. Grabbing the top of the teat and sliding your fingers down the teat will only get you one pissed-off cow. (And OW! Can you blame her?) :D
SilverFlame819

Postby SilverFlame819 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:04 am

This is correct:

SilverFlame819

Postby SilverFlame819 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:05 am

This is NOT.

SilverFlame819

Postby George Collins » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 am

Thanks for that heads-up Silver. Since we will definitely be milking by hand, these will be videos that I will show those whose lot in life it will be to milk her;)
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby SilverFlame819 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:57 am

*lol* Does that mean you have kids? :lol:
SilverFlame819

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest