[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Greenhouse additions

Greenhouse additions

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Greenhouse additions

Postby Mikimble » Fri May 09, 2014 10:38 am

Hello All,

I am getting ready to expand my greenhouse, and am looking for some advice. My greenhouse is pictured here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=299

What I want to do is this: build another greenhouse, just like the one I have, on the same line in the garden; and connect the two greenhouses with a 12 foot lean to shed. In other words, the shed would be sandwiched between the two greenhouses. I'm doing this so I can have more room; and also desire to install a regular wood stove in the shed. The rocket mass heater that I put in the greenhouse works ok, but requires me to feed it every 45 minutes or so. This can get very tiresome on those cold winter nights. I would rather have a stove that I can stoke up to last through the night.

My issue is how to attach the greenhouses to the shed. Can the shed act as sidewalls for both greenhouses; or should it be built "freestanding"; and then somehow connect the greenhouses through doors of some kind. The shed can be bigger than the greenhouse sides; so can I just cut out the shape of the greenhouse in the side wall of the shed, and attach the greenhouse fabric to the shed?? Any ideas, thoughts about the best way to do this??

Sorry I haven't been here for so long; personal issues, etc. Hope everyone is doing well. Hi Matt. Thanks again for the help.

Mike
Mikimble

Re: Greenhouse additions

Postby matt walker » Fri May 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi Mike, good to see you again, welcome back. Hope you got some shredding in this winter. I didn't, unfortunately.

Man, more greenhouse! Yes please. I just recently expanded mine again, and still need more room. I think if I were going to do what you propose I would consider a few things. Firstly, is your greenhouse running N/S or E/W? If it's N/S I would probably not sandwich a shed in there, but rather extend the greenhouse into one long one, and build a protected area for a stove in the middle. If it's E/W, then shading isn't a big deal so your plan could work, although again, unless there was some stuff I really wanted to keep out of the sun, I'd just go for more growing real estate and make it all one big greenhouse.

To answer your specific question, I think I would probably do the opposite approach of what you propose. I would build the two greenhouses complete with walls and doors at the ends, then connect those with a breezeway and just fasten the greenhouse fabric to the frame of the breezeway. That way the "shed" is lit from both greenhouses, and you can move heat pretty easily between the two. Hmm, that sounds funky to build if the shed is bigger though. Yeah, I dunno. Good question.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Mikimble » Fri May 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi Matt,

We had quite the winter here so yes, quite a bit of shredding was accomplished. I didn't really have any falls this year too, which is always good at my age.

The greenhouses are running east/west; and I plan on having the sheds south facing wall glazed with glass or clear panels, so it will really will be more like a shed/hot greenhouse. Haven't decided on beds or containers for that location yet; but am thinking with the wood stove and the ability to insulate the roof and north wall it should stay pretty warm for the tomatoes and peppers ( along with the supplemental lighting maybe).

Thanks for input; and for any input from anyone at this point. I don't think they sell kits for these at Walmart.

Take care,

Mike
Mikimble

Postby Mikimble » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Hello All,

Wanted to update my greenhouse picture:

I had to take out the rocket stove and replace with a cast iron box stove. Too many trips up to the greenhouse to stoke the fire. In my situation, this may work better. At least the tomatoes and peppers made it through last night's killing frost.

I suppose I'll have to turn in my Permaculture membership now....

Mike
Mikimble

Postby matt walker » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Hey Mike, good to see you man. Those tomatoes look great! No judgement here, use what works for you. Around here it's not the temps that keep things in the greenhouse from growing, it's the light, or lack thereof. Do you get long enough light cycles to keep things going in there over winter, or are you just trying to hold greens and the like?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Is that a fine greenhouse grade sawzall hanging on the right? Oh, wait! Forget that. I like what's on the left!!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby Mikimble » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:28 pm

Hey All,

Yeah Matt, the light get's us here too. Right now I'm just trying to hold some peppers and tomatoes for as long as I can. Usually grow mostly greens in the winter in there. Just got the stove hooked up in time for the killing frost. The greenhouse would probably have survived; but the peps and toms wouldn't have been very happy.

You know the rocket mass heater worked; but you had to be there too much. I couldn't spend that much time up there with the other stuff I do.

Mike
Mikimble

Postby Mikimble » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi Drew,

Yes, that is a battery powered sawzal approved for rocket stove greenhouse use only. The other you refer to is sport's illustrated swimsuit edition calendar, 2013.
That particular calendar was not approved for greenhouse use.

Mike
Mikimble

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest