[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - My Garden 2014

My Garden 2014

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

My Garden 2014

Postby matt walker » Sat May 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Here's a little update I filmed about a month ago and finally got around to editing. I wanted to get this up for you guys, since the things I learned using these techniques over these last few years are coming into play big time in the new areas I'm developing. So yeah, this is sorta a refresher for me, as I'm moving forward kinda quickly now with new areas and this helped me keep some stuff in mind...

matt walker
Site Admin

Re: My Garden 2014

Postby SilverFlame819 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Wow. I don't even know how you keep track of what's in all those! I'm jealous that you get to plant trees. Seriously.
SilverFlame819

Postby George Collins » Sun May 11, 2014 2:06 am

Awesome stuff.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby Mikimble » Fri May 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Hey Matt,

Very nice garden and video. I'm looking to try hugelkulture at some point too. Have you ever tried straw bale gardening? I'm going to try it this year; just got some bales and started prepping.

If you haven't heard about it, check out these pics.
[url]
http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthre ... 405&page=2[/url]

Mike

PS I'm definitely doing the tomato arbor.
Mikimble

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat May 17, 2014 3:58 am

Very interesting, Mikimble. I don't have any straw bales but I have oodles of straw bedding from the goats and sheep piled up from winter. It's laced with manure. Seems like it would be perfect to string across my beds and plant my warm vegetables into.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Sat May 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks guys. Mike, I haven't tried gardening in bales but I've done the deep straw mulch, ala Ruth Stout. My winters are too mild here to use straw over the winter season in the garden. The rodents set up shop and I had a terrible season after having straw in my garden all winter. Nonetheless, I have seen the method you posted and it is really intriguing. If I had access to straw bales I'd be giving it a try for sure.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Sun May 18, 2014 12:30 am

Mike, you have reinforced my desire to try straw bale gardening this year.
Lollykoko

Postby Mikimble » Sun May 18, 2014 11:57 am

Hey Lolly,

I hope that is a good thing. I tried this years ago, but didn't prep the bales. I live on the top of a hill, so there's not much top soil to work with. This could be an easy way to grow more without all the work of creating new raised beds, which is how I have been gardening lately. I'm going to try the tomato arbor, and also try potatoes and carrots in the bales. I am going to prep my bales with earthworm castings from my worm farm. I'll keep everyone posted on how this turns out.

Mike

PS Matt, what kind of critters would be getting into your bales??
Mikimble

Postby matt walker » Mon May 19, 2014 2:31 pm

We have really mild winters, so rodents would live in the straw over the winter and when spring broke it was a infestation. Mostly rats and voles.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue May 20, 2014 11:39 am

What do you have to do to prep the bales ? Do you have to add some mulch or top soil to the top of the bale to get things started? Looks like an easy way to grow if you have the straw, or even if you don't have straw, it does not cost that much for a bale of straw. Much less work than digging rocks. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest