[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - My Garden 2014

My Garden 2014

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: My Garden 2014

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:11 pm

I haven't monitored the soil temperatures but I'm seeing the same things in my beds and piles. The south-most sections are the most prolific, which makes sense. My hugel beds are terraced to the south using timbers, which makes that southern most area only usable at the top. I might pull those timbers out, add more dirt, and seed down the backside.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:29 am

Well, here's a long look at my new earthworks installations from this last year. It's really blurry, and super long and rambling, but I wanted to get all this stuff on video so hopefully we can follow the progress from here on out.

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:08 pm

What a bounty you have there!

I don't have too much to add to that, but have to say, I've seen a lot of forestry guides that recommend to keep everything trimmed around newly planted trees, but from my experience newly planted trees seem to grow best when they are protected by deeper grasses and weeds growing around them. As for the sun heating your beds and their disconnection from the colder ground, you're definitely on to something there!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest