[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Perennial wheat success

Perennial wheat success

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Perennial wheat success

Postby matt walker » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:25 pm

So, another thing I tried this year was some perennial wheat. I'm pretty sure all the perennial wheat out there is the result of Tim Peters' work, and I bought seeds labeled as such from Brown Envelope Seeds a couple years ago. I broadcast sowed them with my other cover crops and forgot about them, but now my hugel/swale mounds are covered with wheat heads, and I've harvested quite a few berries so far. I'm super excited about it, and I think I may have enough to share. If anyone wants some berries to use as seed, let me know and I'll be happy to mail you out a few. I'll get some pics up before too long here.
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Perennial wheat success

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Interesting. I haven't been able to find any hardiness information. If it's zone 5 hardy I'd definitely like to try some. I had a good crop of annual wheat last year. I hand scythed it and it provided animal bedding all winter. It would be great to get this on my slopes in a perennial form.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby Myrth » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:38 am

I am interested in learning more about it, hardiness, how it tolerates humidity, etc.
Myrth

Postby matt walker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:39 am

Hi Myrth, I wish I could answer those questions for you. I really don't know. It's a result of the work of Tim Peters, but that's all the detail I have.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:08 pm

I would just like to publicly apologize to Manny for the delay. Apparently I'm really, really bad at mailing. I got the seeds back last week due to insufficient postage, so I went to the post office and put more postage on. Now, a week later, I got them back again. No note this time, just a mysterious strip of white tape over the stamps. I went back to the post office, and the woman at the counter tried to jam it through a slot, and when it didn't fit (due to the plum pits) she told me it needed more postage. I think it made it to Illinois before they realized it didn't go through the test slot, so they sent it back to me. Ugh, this is a long way of saying, sorry dude, they are on their way for real now.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Ha! Sounds like the beaurocracy that I know. Rest assured, I'm sure someone was promoted to an executive position out of the whole affair.

No worries, Matt. It's far from planting time around here.
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:58 pm

It's too late for this comment, but I'll post it anyway... You've obviously already paid for postage. Put his address on the return address and let it fly.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Drew, you just made my day man. Genius.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:48 am

That was quick. I came home today and found all sorts of stuff in the mail. Thanks again, Matt.

I had some failures on some plants that I ordered in the spring that were guaranteed. The replacements came in today too. I've got a couple plums in a pot inside and put 30 more raspberries, 10 jostaberry, and 2 pawpaw in the ground outside. Getting ready for a killing frost tonight; keeping my fingers crossed.
mannytheseacow

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest