Oh dear!

Canning, Dehydrating, Freezing, Fermenting, etc.

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Oh dear!

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I've never had a can explode, but I try to use them within a year of the date suggested for things that are wet packed. The flavor really does go downhill after that time. :(

And if you have evaporated or condensed milk on the shelf, be sure to shake it like crazy to recombine the product. If you forget, I don't know if the curdled looking mess you'd find would beat up with a mixer or not. Sis just poured hers down the drain. :lol:

Boo, is your pantry / cupboard or whatchamacallit damp? If a can begins to develop rust spots it will explode or erode away eventually.
Lollykoko

Postby boo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 am

It wasn't damp before the can exploded :shock:
The wet bit in the corner was where the can was....and the "lovely mosaic tile effect" you see was where the other cans were. Did you know that peach bits can travel quite a way when they explode out of a can? I've had that can for less than 4 months so I would expect that there is a problem at the factory. I was contacted this morning by the company and they requested the photo's (as I no longer have the can).. and they are sending a voucher (?? i think) for a replacement can.
boo

Postby boo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:26 am

Well, I got my reply from Coca-Cola Amatil (who apparently own the factory that produces the canned fruit that I buy :shock: ) and they sent a cheque for $10.00 to replace the can (which was very nice of them) but no explanation of why it could have happened. I think I'll be reducing the amount of canned fruit I buy and increase my efforts at dehydrating my own fruit. If I don't know why it exploded then I can't prevent it from happening again....
boo

Previous

Return to Stocking Up