Jerky

Canning, Dehydrating, Freezing, Fermenting, etc.

Moderator: matt walker

Jerky

Postby DevilsBrew » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 pm

You guys are pros so I'm going to the best for help. How do you make jerky in a dehydrator and what cut of meat do you use?
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Re: Jerky

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:55 pm

We use venison to make our Jerky. Notice I didn't say I, lol, my wife uses a recipe that we got from a neighbor. We like it. You use 3 pounds of meat , 1 Tbsp salt, 1 Tsp Prague Powered [ Only if you can find it, we never have ] 1 Tsp onion powder, 1 Tsp garlic powder 1Tsp ground black pepper, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup wistishire sauce. Dump over meat and refrigerate for 24 hours. Put in de-hydrator and dry to your personal taste. The boys like it and its a good way to use some of your deer with out using it for ground meat.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:21 pm

That sounds good Guy. I also like to use venison if I can get it from my neighbor. If you use beef just make sure it's really, really lean. I typically use a chunk of standing rib roast or something like that, since the roasts I get from my beef are usually too big for me to cook and eat, I cut 'em up and jerky-ize them. Any lean cut will work.

I like teriyaki type jerky, since I have a sweet tooth. I'm just gonna post an Alton recipe here for the rest of the info. This is my go to base, although I get a little wild with the flavors sometimes....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:04 pm

My standard go-to recipe for jerky is:

For every 2 1/4# of meat,
3/4 oz kosher salt,
1 whole head garlic, crushed
1 small onion minced
1 smoked jalepeno or 1/4 cup of those chipotle peppers that come in the can with the adobo sauce.

Like Guy said, mix it all together and refrigerate 24 hours. I just put it out on racks in the sun or somewhere warm with good air flow. I like to use sliced meat and am not a fan of the ground meat kind of jerky. I typically use less desireable cuts like the neck or breast, but in good years I'll use the roasts, too, just because I won't have freezer space for all my meat. Whatever you use, make sure you slice across the grain or else you'll never be able to chew it!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Return to Stocking Up