[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Pantry Ideas

Pantry Ideas

Canning, Dehydrating, Freezing, Fermenting, etc.

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Pantry Ideas

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:46 am

Have you tried the tahini and wheat germ in granola?

I may have some spelt in the cabinet, along with about 5 kids of flour. Then there is that package of teff grain that I should try to use (maybe my next meatloaf?) Tonight I did quick and easy, throwing together some seasoned couscous with precooked ground Black Angus seasoned with onions, cayenne and paprika.
Lollykoko

Postby SilverFlame819 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:18 am

I have not tried the tahini at all, actually. Oh yeah, I've got piles of weird flour in the cupboard... Almond, Barley, Brown Rice, Flaxseed, Oat, etc. All of that will go the way of the rest of it. I am trying to use up the weirdest stuff first. It's been an interesting time in the kitchen lately. I made the dogs some wheat germ/oatmeal/PB/Honey dog treats a few days ago. They smell pretty tasty, and the dogs are digging them. Last week I made apple cinnamon/flaxseed/whole wheat/oat treats for them. It's really hard to break away from the ingredients you're used to working with. Every recipe I make, whether for humans or dogs, has to include at least one weird ingredient. The goal is to get the pantry emptied out, and if I'm only using up ingredients I use all the time, I'll just be replacing them when they run out, so that would be pointless.
SilverFlame819

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:52 pm

I sounds like you have really found a wonderful out let for the weird stuff you have in the pantry with your Dogs. :lol: Its like Mikey in the old Life cereal commercials, give it to Mikey, He will eat any thing, :lol: I am sure they love the treats you have made for them, in their eyes you are the one who loves them and feeds them and only wants good things for them. Why would they question the treats you give them? I am sure they gobble them up as quickly as you toss them one. ;) That's why I love Dogs and not cats. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby SilverFlame819 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:05 pm

I've always kind of ended up with cats. I like them okay, but almost all of my cats have been accidents... Orphans that needed bottle raising and whatnot. Haven't had a cat in about 10 years, and after living for the last 2 years with my roommate's hellcats, I won't be tempted to get another for a long, loooooooong time. I'm a dog person, for sure. And there are some great cats out there. But I just need a serious break from cats at this point. On the counters, on the fridge, on the clean dishes, in the dishpans, eating the dog food, tearing the up walls, tearing up the carpets, yowling non-stop, tearing up the bath curtain, shredding the toilet paper and paper towel all over the house, eat my plants, using my plants for kitty litter, knocking the plants out of the windowsills onto my VANILLA-colored carpet, knocking milk onto the carpets, knocking Kool-Aid onto the carpets, climbing into your dinner plate when you turn around for 5 seconds, tormenting the dogs for fun, using my clean towels as bedding... When they were allowed outside, the whole house looked like a graveyard. Dead and mangled (still alive) critters everywhere. Feathers and fur scattered all over... They would catch baby mice and birds just to torture, but wouldn't eat them. I just really want to strangle some kitties at this point. I can't wait to be kitty-free for a while. The male cat disappeared for a couple days once and sent the roomie into a panic, so now they're not allowed outside, so I can't open the doors or windows to air the place out, because the cats have shredded all the screens and can walk right through them... Thinking of living without a cat in my space just sounds like a dream come true about now!

(Thread drift!)
SilverFlame819

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 pm

AWWWWWWWWWWW now Silver don't sugar coat it like that, tell us how you really feel!!! :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 am

I firmly believe that good people are reincarnated as dogs and bad people are reincarnated as cats.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 am

It could be that I'm actually a cat, reincarnated. :lol:
Lollykoko

Postby SilverFlame819 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 am

*lol* Guy, that WAS the sugar-coated version! :D Most people can't handle the REAL way I talk... I cuss in ways sailors have never heard of, and everyone's looking for something to be offended by these days, so I try to be slightly more presentable when in public...

(The fact that I just posted about those two lovely cats without a single F-bomb is like... deserving of some kind of medal, seriously.)
SilverFlame819

Postby matt walker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:31 pm

This is a great thread, drift and all. I've been dealing with my pantry lately, rotating out old stock and feeding it to the chickens, and thinking about better ways to store the stuff. I don't have any store bought cans, so it's all mason jars, which just don't stack nicely, although I started buying all wide mouth pints to try to make it a bit better. I probably have 1200 jars full of stuff in there, although I've been taking 8 a day down to the chickens lately to try to get rid of 2010 and earlier product. Like Guy, I just have to look around and eventually I'll find what I'm looking for in that sea of jars, but it would be great to be more organized. I've been trying hard to put things together better around here this winter and the can pantry is a major sticking point. Any ideas for better mason jar storage, empty and full, are welcome!

Cats are jerks.

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby SilverFlame819 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:42 pm

Too bad I don't have a place in need of a nice pantry and the money to make the racks I have in mind. I'm always designing stuff in my head. I think the rack in the video would be great for the small amount of store-bought cans I go through... Put those racks along the open spaces in the pantry (entry way or whatever), and do the main racks in the rest of the pantry...

I'm not finding pix anywhere online of what I'd like to do... Kind of annoying, when you want to share an idea. And, well... my Paint skills are hilarious, at best. :D

Basic idea is: Slanted shelving, so things slide toward the front. Dividers between rows of jars, to keep things in order. And a hard, thin plastic on top of the shelf to allow the jars to slide easily. Tons of options for plastics online. You could use heavy duty glue to just glue the plastic down, or find a type of plastic that won't shatter when you put a nail or screw through it, and secure it down along the edges that way. Small space behind the rack so you can fill everything from behind to keep the FIFO scheme going, and you're good to go.

My mom keeps the rings on the empty jars so she doesn't have to search for them... Then just buys new ones when they get rusty. (She has new rings and lids in a container in the pantry). She also has started to only buy wide-mouth jars, since they're easier to empty and fill.
SilverFlame819

PreviousNext

Return to Stocking Up