[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Mayhaws are in

Mayhaws are in

Canning, Dehydrating, Freezing, Fermenting, etc.

Moderator: matt walker

Mayhaws are in

Postby George Collins » Sun May 11, 2014 2:21 am

I have several mayhaw trees planted.

That's good.

Mayhaws take seven years to begin bearing.

That's bad.

I have a friend that gave me 13 gallons of mayhaws today.

That's just Snoopy dance.

Now for making the first batch of my favorite jelly.

If any here aren't familiar with the joys of mayhaw jelly, take a leap of faith and get yourself a tree or two. You'll be forever glad you did once they start bearing.

What's more, as far as fruit trees go, they're fairly inexpensive.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Mayhaws are in

Postby SilverFlame819 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:41 pm

I've never even heard of a mayhaw. Apparently neither had my autocorrect! *lol* I'll have to look them up! :-)
SilverFlame819

Postby George Collins » Sun May 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Three gallons made 15 pints of the world's tastiest (and prettiest) jelly.

George Collins

Postby SilverFlame819 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:31 am

It's seedless?! I don't have a clue what it is, but sign me up!! I abhor seeds.
SilverFlame819

Postby George Collins » Mon May 12, 2014 4:27 pm

The fruits aren't seedless but when making jelly it doesn't matter. The way we do it is to throw a bunch (2-3 gallons) in a big pot, cover them with water and bring to a boil. After they have boiled for 30 minutes, we pour the contents of the pot into a pillow case or flour sack and strain the juice. Regardless of how much trash, dirt, seeds and pulp there is in the pot, the juice always comes out perfectly clean for us. After that, we follow the directions for making grape jelly found on the included insert of Sure•Jell (1 pkg of Sure•Jell: 5 cups of juice: 7 cups of sugar).

George Collins

Postby SilverFlame819 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:12 pm

It looks amazing. Even moreso since I haven't had breakfast and it's lunch time! :-)
SilverFlame819

Postby matt walker » Tue May 13, 2014 2:40 pm

I've never heard of Mayhew either George, but you make me feel like I'm seriously missing out. I won't pass it up when I come across it. It looks fantastic, and I love the easy processing method.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue May 13, 2014 3:20 pm

I have never heard of it before either George. Is it a warn climate type of fruit or does it grow up north as well? Could you show us a picture of the fruit? That might help. Thanks
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Tue May 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Guy, the native range of the mayhaw is the Deep South: Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana. However, I think I read somewhere that it would survive to -20 degrees F.

Willis orchards lists mayhaws as appropriate for Zones 6-10.

When we returned from gathering another couple gallons yesterday, I took a handful out to the hogs to determine how well they liked them and, as expected, they ate them with gusto. Given how inexpensive they are coupled with their extremely early drop date, I intend to plant several into the hog food forest next year.

George Collins

Postby thickstrings » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:54 am

I saw a TV show called "Brew Dogs" Its about 2 guys from Scotland go around the U.S and brew beer using local ingredients. Well they were in the Carolinas and they put Mayhaws in the beer, because it was a local favorite.....Who knew?
" Life is art...Live a masterpiece"
thickstrings

Return to Stocking Up